Anybody not busy?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jay_Kent, May 31, 2008.

1. Jay_Kent

Jay_Kent New Member

Hi guys,

Is it just me or has it gone very quiet?
    Other tradesman/builders i know are starting to panic!

I've put adds in the local paper but still nothing.

How you guys doing?

2. m x

m x New Member

I've been very busy since last October but gone very quiet now. Maybe a couple of weeks work still booked but after that, who knows.
    The wife has just gone out with an old batch of flyers.

I think were starting to feel the effects of our current poor economy.
    A family friend has asked if I fancied doing a bit of back breaking labouring work in her garden and I'm gonna take it.

I'm a 90 percent domestic joiner and just take a little site if it comes my way. I reckon that because the new builds have slowed down there must be a lot of the site guys taking on domestic work. This simply means we have over supply and under demand, which in turn means we're going to be "adjusting" our rates accordingly.

Basicly its all bad news.

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Yep quiet, i too am taking on rubbish jobs to keep the fitters busy, no choice really.
    When i started i used to take anything, looks like i'll be going back there for a while.

4. RANTER

RANTER New Member

our phone stopped ringing almost about 4 months ago ,since then we have scratched up every job we put off doing[even an ikea kitchen is begining to look interesting]we put out 15000 flyers in local free paper in april[cost approx 500 quid,ouch.enquiries so far about 10.DONT PANIC,DONT PANIC.ON THE SOUTH COAST.

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I fitted some carpets in a "halfway house" for ex (alledgedly) druggies.
    What a sh ithole!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But paid the lads wages!

6. parana

parana New Member

Very quiet in south wales Neath area.pleased to hear (in a nice way) it is nationwide. Just sit and wait. (I dont want a real job, sob)

P

7. !!

!! Active Member

I'm very busy at the minute, finished at 2 today (worked all week including Bank hol) only had 1 day a week off for the last 6 weeks.

the works nothing too special, towards the lower end of the market but it pays the bills. even fitted a B&Q floor

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"even fitted a B&Q floor"
    jeez you are busy, which branch was it?
    ;)

9. leicsjoiner

leicsjoiner New Member

We're busy but I know a lot of site joiners are struggling. Prices have gone right through the floor as well. Just been given £3.75/m for hardwood skirting, double fixed and pelleted every 600, and £6.50 for mortise latches. They're just the ones I can remember off the top of my head without going out to the van and looking through the bill of rates, to be honest there wasn't a single price that made me think "best jump on that straight away". Times is hard.

10. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

I work as a local 'village carpenter' doing domestic work.
    I'm very busy and have been offloading jobs onto other local carpenters to keep my pipeline manageable but I suspect things will get difficult in a few months.

Many house builders have stopped new projects and will start laying off site workers soon. Those guys will be looking around and thinking 'Why not do some local domestic stuff until the real stuff picks up again?'.

Time to take a couple of notches out of the belt.

I'm told that there are great opportunities in Poland at the moment ....

11. dunc

dunc New Member

I am not really busy and things went quiet for a few weeks. But a few things have come through recently.

I have had more timewasters and speculators. Also its a buyer's market now, so its worth chasing up some quotes to see how keen the customers are.

There's also quite a bit more gazundering by other tradesmen. Who are chasing their quotes and offering lower prices.

12. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I've seen no evidence of any 'belt tightening' in the Greenwich area. I certainly haven't lost any jobs through undercutting or the influx of cheap labour......quite the opposite in fact.

All domestic work, word of mouth / no advertising......predominantly box sash restoration work & built in furniture.

13. dunc

dunc New Member

I lost a couple of jobs after the client had given a verbal agreement to do the work. I called to make arrangements and was fobbed off, as they had taken someone else on.

Generally, I do okay with verbal agreements. But this time I think the clients were a bit weak willed, and judging by the quality of workmanship about their houses, I think they were an easy mark for the cowboy bulder.

So perhaps its not a widespread turn in the market, just unfortunate incidents for me.

I do mainly domestic work, and I am more maintenance, making good and patch ups than new installations. My busiest times tend to be late summer through to xmas, then into jan/feb. So in between its been very quiet.

14. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

I've seen no evidence of any 'belt tightening' in the
    Greenwich area.

Same here in West London, Mr Mike - never been busier, to be honest, all repeat customers or recommendations. Like yourself and Dunc, all domestic work - built-ins, alcoves and under-stairs etc...

Probably helps to have more than one string to your bow, these days though, I think.

Cheers, Pete.

15. Major Mal Funxion

Major Mal Funxion New Member

I'm up in the midlands and it's getting pretty thin ont ground. Me & me mucker are managing to keep busy and I even turned a house down last week because it involved travelling and we do have other jobs coming in, but they could go titsup at any time because the punters might pull the rug on account of builders being ten a penny.

16. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

im quiet at the moment but have about 3-4weeks work left. enquiries are coming in that sound promising but then no calls to follow afterwards

BTW im in the east midlands

17. dunc

dunc New Member

We need reports from farther afield. I'm worried that chippies out there are unable to come to the pc and give us an update. Perhaps they are already dropping from lack of food, brought on by no earnings. Maybe they are chewing on scrap pieces of skirting or boiling up their leather nail pouches to stay alive.

18. murrmac

murrmac Member

> We need reports from farther afield. I'm worried that
    chippies out there are unable to come to the pc and
    give us an update. Perhaps they are already dropping
    from lack of food, brought on by no earnings. Maybe
    they are chewing on scrap pieces of skirting or
    boiling up their leather nail pouches to stay alive.

actually, they are all putting their Paslodes to their temples.

90mm nails for best results.

19. dual193

dual193 New Member

Work has slowed in derbyshire but its still about.. This time last tear I did'nt have the time to tidy the van or workshop out now they are spotless.. I have got a lead of about 3 weeks with a few tenders out to come in yet so its not quite hand to mouth yet.. plus I have taken on some consultancy for a local council on the care and repair side, it pays good just for stating the bleeding obvious.

20. valebuilding

valebuilding New Member

Ticking over okay down here but still pretty quiet for this time of year. Local roofing firm has laid off 10 blokes in past fortnight.

SWales area