Anybody not busy?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jay_Kent, May 31, 2008.

1. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yep, my van is clean and tidy, all tools in their propper place, was even gonna check my tyre pressures today.................... but then i'd have nothing to do tomorrow!

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I hear through the grapeveine that other merchants are stopping staff recruitment or even asking for voluntary redundancies.

It has definitely gone quiet, but then it always does hiccup around half term and sumer hols.

The real test will be by September. If it is still quiet then we are in for a tough winter.

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Domestic work is good and holding up well. Site work is going down the pan so site workers are trying to get into the domestic market.

This will not be easy if you are not established with a good customer base and prepared to splash the cash on advertising.

4. chippyboy88

chippyboy88 New Member

get out and get some other work why you have the chance. turned up on a site off 400 homes to be built, goot told monday am only going ahead with 60. by 11.30 had call only put up 12. im all finished up and gone in for a job van drivin for a few years

5. ITZ.PS

ITZ.PS New Member

i have work for the next 5 weeks but i had to lower my price on some to get it.

there is a lot of work out there but no one wants to pay the going rate for a proper professional job.

too many diy'ers or ex estate agents who have been on one week courses thinking they know it all.

6. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

The "Nu-Labour" project is in "meltdown". We've been sold down the river. If you think this is bad it's going to get much worse. I'm trying to convince "er indoors" about the benefits of emigrating. I predict a riot. The days are long gone since one politician (I can't remember his name) said that to be born British was to have won life's lottery! Sorry to be so glum but I'm afraid the game is up. I could be wrong and I hope I am but I don't see any "silver lining" in the up-coming cloud for those of us at the coal face. The Plutocrats will make a mint; they always do, it's heads they win tails we lose regardless but that's what happens when you use the Mafia protection racket as a business model.

7. ITZ.PS

ITZ.PS New Member

Chekhov i been trying to persuade the family to move to the north of spain, no luck yet.

i am fed up with the way things are going on in the uk.

Is it really better abroad or is it a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

tools and materials are going up in price but income is not.

Well the weekend is not faraway

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Spain, yep me too, but the wife won't go ;-(

Open myself a bar up called the black bull or the kings head or summat hang loads of footy shirts on the wall and serve drunken brits Estrella Damm and pukka pies ;)
    Get the karaoke on every night at 10........... aga-do-do-do!!!
    Yep that's the life, def green grass ;)

9. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Spain, yep me too, but the wife won't go.....so?

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

...there wont be many Brits spending cash in Spain 'cos their houses are either being knocked down or are worth half what they were :(

If you think the property market is iffy here it is falling off a cliff in Spain...sometimes literally when the bulldozers get a bit too keen :)

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Your right, there are lots of property "owners" in spain who are a bit worried.
    My mate bought back in the seventies and in those days it was passing a guy in a pub a brown paper bag full of readdies and a handshake.
    Yep you got a deed of sorts and a spanish "solicitor" of sorts was involved but everything was cash and the buyers had little idea of what was going on.
    There seems to now be some doutbs as to the legalities of the ownership of the land these properties were built on.
    :(

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got a plumber working for me who's just moved back from Spain 'cos he can't get enough work out there.

13. uncle albert

uncle albert New Member

I work as a local 'village carpenter' doing domestic
    work.
    I'm very busy and have been offloading jobs onto
    other local carpenters to keep my pipeline manageable
    but I suspect things will get difficult in a few
    months.

Many house builders have stopped new projects and
    will start laying off site workers soon. Those guys
    will be looking around and thinking 'Why not do some
    local domestic stuff until the real stuff picks up
    again?'.

Time to take a couple of notches out of the belt.

I'm told that there are great opportunities in Poland
    at the moment ....

whats going on in poland then??could we see a role reversal?? like the old days in germany in the 90s

14. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

shut it albert.

15. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Why? He has a point.

Property development is booming in Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary, Croatia, etc etc ...why not follow the work?

16. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Time to take a couple of notches out of the belt.

I'm told that there are great opportunities in
    Poland
    at the moment ....

whats going on in poland then??could we see a role
    reversal?? like the old days in germany in the 90s

When I made the original comment I meant it lightly though there is an element of truth in it. I have got some good friends who moved here from Poland about 30 years ago and have then seen a wave of migration follow them. They told me that their home city, Krakow, has contacted them to try to act as a informal 'embassadors' to encourage skilled Poles to move back home. They have got major shortages in all the construction skills as well as in other areas such as medicine (my friend is a doctor).

In the construction area they have got major sporting projects coming up and no one to build the facilities. They are bringing in a lot of labour from further east and south but are bemoaning the lack of skills - does this sound familiar?