Anybody who can think out the box ?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by dvddvd, Nov 26, 2017.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

Hi all, I have a turntable on a shelf like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Need to think right outside the box to understand this, without pictures. :):)

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

Wont let me edit it !

Here goes again:

I have a shelf like this for my turntable[​IMG]

very similar bur mine is made from 30mm steel box section with a wooden shelf where the turntable sits

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

And ?................

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

I want to add a turntable dust cover on my turntable to protect it from dust

[​IMG]

Every time i lift the cover up i nearly catch the turntable, So i was thinking of making some sort of spring loaded runner at the back which is attached to the turntable shelf and also the acrylic dust cover.

So its just a matter of lifting the dust cover and it rises and then gracefully goes back down again when not in use.

I made the shelf bracket so can weld whatever onto it, I did see these
    [​IMG]
    But i doubt they will clear the turntable and they rise and come forward a little
    They are used on lift up coffee tables[​IMG]

Ideally it would be some sort of gas strut , spring thing that was hidden on the back.

I did look at building a scissor lift of some sort

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Active Member

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

Hi thanks, thats the problem my turntable is a Michell gyrodec

[​IMG]

So if you used a normal hinge you would have to pull out the self by 200mm due to the actual size of the dust cover its 200mm high

So up is the only way to go?

8. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

Please please tell me, that for all the effort your going to, it's a Michell Gyrodec. I'd love one of those. First saw one in the 70's in the film Clockwork Orange, they still look ahead of their time today.

[​IMG]

KIAB likes this.
  9. fillyboy

Damn. Nice one,

10. fillyboy

What about having a custom made cover, in my picture, it appears to show a clear Perspex plinth, with a vertical Perspex section at the rear, hinged at the top.
    So, imagine your cover with the rear panel removed, fixed to the plinth and hinged at the top, the cover would simply pivot up and rest against the wall behind.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or the flat top hinged at the back(top), and the front to drop down hinged at the bottom.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

Yes British made turntable, the one in Clockwork orange was a Michell Transcripter similar but they are discontinued now.

I have had a few covers made over the years, the only problem i had with hinged ones are, they were nearly vertical when lifted up had one coming down and smashing. I know the shelf could be just pulled out a bit so when open there is more of an angle.

Then i thought it would be interesting to see if there was a way to make some sort of mech thats weighted in some way to have it rise and fall...maybe i need a life?

13. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

Could we not have something from a James Bond movie? press a button and the cover rises!

14. fillyboy

Before I rack my brains any further to come up with a brilliant solution for you, what sort of music are we going to be pumping out of this bad boy.
    I don't want to be putting in too much effort for Kylie Minogues greatest hits, lovely girl, and believe me I would, but musically, no.

15. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

I play all sorts of music, don't worry no Kylie!

From the Michell gyro it goes into a Bryston pre amp and into two Bryston mono block power amps (They give you a 20 year no quibble guarantee)
    and then into a pair of Kef reference speakers

KIAB likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

'Course you can. Small motor with wormscrew etc etc etc

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

i don't mind doctoring something?

I suppose ideally something bolted to back of dust cover, some sort of track for it to run up and down
    at rear and some weighted way to lift it or some sort of motor mech ?
    I saw the heavy duty drawer runners the 3 part ones ? i may be just dreaming !

18. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

but where do you buy worm screw from ?

Surely there is something that uses that sort of mech, press a button and it moves 8 inch and press it again and it moves back 8 inch ?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  19. Mr. Handyandy

Dunno. Nick one from your namesake perhaps(old dvd or video player)?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. dvddvd

dvddvd Member

It would not be strong enough?