Anyone else suffering?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Jan 8, 2021.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

This lockdown is really getting to me already...

Anyone else having a bad time, or got a really bsd feeling about this?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Get a grip man!......the short and dark days pee me off much more. :mad:

Hfs, rogerk101 and quasar9 like this.
  3. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Well they certainly aren't helping I agree!

If you've got any tips for those of us having a far worse time than usual, please let us know!

4. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

It's helped to put things into perspective for me and made me aware of what's important. Enjoy the positives, no matter how little, and don't dwell too much on the negatives. Spring will be here before we know it, and we now have 3 vaccines working in our favour. Get your daily exercise, it really does help when your mood is low.

rogerk101 likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

De clutter the house, shed and garage and sell it on ebay, you will sell 95% of it to those with 'Car Boot Withdrawal Symptoms' (CBWS).

6. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I did that in lockdown 1.

Astramax likes this.
  7. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

Yes it's bloody awful! Apart from the constant media organisations battle to be the number one bringer of depressing over hyped shock horror headlines, and the overwhelming feeling that we are being manipulated and lied to by people with their own agendas, and my own personal inherant resistance to rules and being told what to do, and the general poisonous policy of encouraging people to snitch on each other while displaying utter hypocrisy, which creates an atmosphere of paranoia amongst the population, and the fact that its grey and freezing, and dark almost constantly, and that everything I like doing is now illegal, and that even if I try very hard to somehow imagine this is somehow going to end at some point in the distant future, we have that gormless whitty character telling us that we might have to do all this again next winter and every winter until the end of time.....apart from that, and a whole list of other stuff, it's just bloody great isn't it?

longboat, RolandK, Hfs and 4 others like this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Alcohol, then more alcohol, and if you don't have anything to get up for in the morning try either YouTube music or video games.

9. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Astramax likes this.
  10. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Had covid last year, was rather poorly for about two weeks. Fortunately i recovered without being hospitalised.

Followed the guidlines, mask, sanitise etc and still was unfortunate enough to catch the virus.

Been left without taste or smell! However i do not dwell on this negative.

I always focus on the positives in life. The positive i take from this is, i’m still alive.

My view is, Keep talking about problems and they only seem to increase.

Yes, We always hope for the easy fix: the one simple change that will erase a problem in a stroke. But few things in life work this way.

I believe Reacting emotionally prolongs and worsens your dilemma.

So concentrate and focus on the positives in your life and do not dwell on any negatives which the media seem to thrive upon.

11. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

The end is in sight so hang in there.

We personally haven't seen our son in over 12 months, we saw our daughter briefly on Christmas day in a car park on top of a mountain road, but it is what it is.
    After seeing (facetime) how ill daughter was after contacting it in her work as a paramedic ... it's real and can see why the measures are in place, but can also see how people are struggling with it.

For me the flouters who are risking prolonging the lockdown are annoying me more than the delayed surgeries I need to get back to work. The surgeries are postponed for a reason - because hospitals can't cope right now. 2 examples from daughter ... one shift 13 ambulances in front of her patient ... next shift 24 ambulances in front of the patient, rinse repeat

Keep your chin up, and @sparky steve I hope your senses return soon

12. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Keep busy. Do all those crappy tasks that you've been putting off for year because you didn't have the time to do them. The sense of satisfaction as you check each one off your mental list is enough to uplift even the most down-hearted.

goldwise and Muzungu like this.
  13. Tonyatlas

Tonyatlas New Member

What lockdown? Around my area the roads are busy and people acting as usual. All retail shops finding loop holes to allow click and collect and trades not limited to essential only for in house visits.

It's still way busier out there than the march lockdown I find.

Hope you feel better soon, like others have said it's the final stretch before Vaccines hopefully help control this.

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Everyone is struggling with all this but plan to make their best of every day. That's the key. Life stratagy. Too easy to sit and get down vs stand up and make the best of things. Life is endless challenges and those that do the best have some kind of plan to make the best of it..
    I like podcasts, forums, music, food, and the fact days are getting longer. Won't be long and the weather will pick up.

15. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

This isn't like the 1st lockdown were people stayed home, the roads are busy and people just doing every day tasks in my area nobody taking any notice

Wayners and Tonyatlas like this.
  16. Mikey s

Mikey s New Member

Set your self small tasks every day. Something to get up and at them. Doesn’t matter how small it is you can build it up. I definitely do t agree with the get a grip attitude. Just because it isn’t as bad for some one else doesn’t mean it’s not a struggle for you. You’ll be ok mate just keep positive

17. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I think people especially in cities like london have just given up trying to hide and dodge the virus and try return to a normal life, as much as the law allows. For many common sense has been put aside for now. I am sure in future physiologist will have a new name for this combination of fatalism and bravado, last seen during WW2, When people made most of what they had not knowing if they were to see tomorrow again.

As Mikey says, a routine is essential. Go for walks or cycle. Try cooking or baking. Try learn new skills that’s not your normal job like language. Spring is round the corner and days are getting longer and the best part, 3 vaccines are approved with more on the horizon !

Sparkielev likes this.
  18. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Russian dash cam videos on YouTube saw me through the first lockdown.

The current ones also show just how much work "climate change" has got to do to live up to its reputation. I've never seen such snow!

Sparkielev and ElecCEng like this.
  19. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

I’ve had my ups and downs over the various lockdowns and the main challenge is putting the kids first, not working and surviving on less income. Im very lucky to have wife, kids, dog and live on the edge of a rural town. I’m only a 15 minute walk from being out in hills/woods/fields etc.

I had some issues several years ago and ultimately got overwhelmed by stress and anxiety. I was lucky enough to get good treatment and rebuild my life with the support of my family around me. Part of the treatment was a lot of work on mindfulness. At the time I genuinely believed it was “hippy bull$h*te”, but over time it really helped me and gave me some useful tools that have helped over the last year. Just going for a walk and looking at the trees and views and focussing on how cool/beautiful/awesome they look can ground your thoughts and distract from the doom and gloom. Also writing down something every day that you’re grateful for. I know its not everyone’s cup of tea; there will be members on here who think we should all man up, and are fuming through their moustaches like a 1950s drill sergeant at the very thought.

I’ve virtually stopped running and going to the the gym, which were things I used to do almost daily. I do however make sure I get out for at least an hour every day for a walk or to take the kids to the park.

Anyone who drinks alcohol is undoubtedly drinking more because of COVID, and there’s a fine line between that and alcoholism, so just watch yourself. We’ve tried to drink “smarter”. We’ve discovered a number of local breweries in our area who deliver for free. There’s also an explosion of craft gin, whisky, cider etc if you’re into that. A couple of beers most nights for even a year isnt going to kill you, and you can take breaks for a week or so or a couple of days each week just to keep it under control and see your body right.

I have a couple of lifelong close mates and we speak on the phone at least once a week. It’s good to stay connected (no terrible Bob Hoskins refs please...).

If none of this works for you then the thing that has also helped me has been this forum. Whether it’s arguing with the more obstinate members, helping others or just learning more, I've found the ‘virtual’ community on here immensely good for my well being. The off topic stuff can be priceless. Even if it’s just banter about cooking mushrooms. There’s something here for everyone, and it really does help. The number of responses you’ve had show you just how much support there is here.

@screwfix.peter maybe it’s time for a “COVID support” forum? Just somewhere we can check in, share if we’ve had a cr@p day, or just reflect on the situation?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    b4xtr, Dam0n, chillimonster and 3 others like this.
  20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This is my way forward exactly Roger - works for me every time

But I consider I’m in a lucky position, four of us at home, we genuinely all get on really well and have a laugh, and eat meals together, watch tv and play the odd board game - whilst giving individuals their own space when needed

Both me and the wife’s jobs are safe and most of the lockdowns has been spent working from home

I’ve used my extra time at home wisely (most of time) as prefer to keep busy and always have a written list of jobs around the home on the go

Not all the jobs are that important I would agree, but even tidying the loft and organising the piles gives me pleasure, motivation and a sense of achievement - and that in turn puts me in a good place

I really feel for those that live alone during this pandemic, even more, those that are shielding

Many people enjoy a little solitude and peace and quite from time to time but endless amounts with no end in sight isn’t the norm for the majority of folks

Keep well everyone and find what works for you in terms of happiness, motivation and wellbeing

goldwise likes this.