Anyone ever seen one of these....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Grim-Ble, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Grim-Ble

Grim-Ble New Member

and if so, what do you do to get the water to stop flooding out? TBSE, with thermostatic valve up-top. Even with the valve closed, hot water will continue to come in if you try to drain at top by loosening union. Try to undo bottom union and water also pours out, cold and then warmer.

Thermostatic valve is sensotherm and valve is "MA". System has a pump with no off (BG Multihead G). Boiler and tank system.

Any thoughts, gratefully received as this is inhibiting decorating no end.

Attached Files:

2. Big Adam

Big Adam New Member

Drain the system?
    (He said, stating the obvious)

3. Grim-Ble

Grim-Ble New Member

The WHOLE system - I only want to remove one radiator like with TBDE but I take it that's wholly impossible?

4. Big Adam

Big Adam New Member

Then get a pipe freeze kit, whip the radiator off, cap the pipe ends (or join together if more appropriate/your preference) and crack open the magnolia.

Grim-Ble likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah! got one on each side of my DeLorean! :cool:

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  6. Grim-Ble

Grim-Ble New Member

In that case, can you whip back to when these were installed and say "stop, hammer time". Bloody nightmare antique plumbing!

Cheers for the pipe freeze tip. Will definitely give that a try.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Drain down

8. kiaora

kiaora Screwfix Select

Hi
    Have you closed the bottom valve?
    I believe there is a cap that comes off and access to a valve to close off the bottom where there is a small pipe going in to bottom of radiator

Regards
    Peter

9. Grim-Ble

Grim-Ble New Member

Peter, if that works you're a future hero! It'd be a much quicker way but can't test it until next time as I drained down the whole system as suggested which also worked a treat - just the house is frozen for the next four days until the plasterer finishes (and I paint the walls magnolia).

Thanks for all the suggestions - greatly appreciated.

P.s. Given that when I woke up this morning the radiator valves haven't changed sides Astramax, I'm assuming your DeLorean needs a tune up...

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes pretty sure the cap covers the balancing adjustment, just note how many turns to off and reset it to the same to maintain the system balance.