Anyone for Mass DNA Recording?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by The Trician, Sep 5, 2007.

1. The Trician

The Trician New Member

FROM Today's BBC -

Should everyone in the UK be on the DNA database?

"How can we strike the balance between combating crime and guarding civil liberties?

A senior appeal court judge is calling for the national DNA database to be expanded to include everyone living in the UK - and everyone visiting the country.

Lord Justice Sedley says the current position is "indefensible" because ethnic minorities are disproportionately represented on the database and offenders who have evaded arrest are not included.

The chairman of the DNA database strategy board, Chief Constable Tony Lake, says there should be a debate about the future of the database. He has suggested that samples could be held for limited periods.

Would you be happy to have your DNA on the database? If you live outside the UK, would it stop you visiting the country? Would a comprehensive database help in fighting crime? Or would it just hit civil liberties?"

My view?

No, we should not all be on it by default. What is the point when those who are correctly found guilty are given ridiculously short sentences, and those who are flagged up falsely through incompetence cannot have their details removed. It worries me that such faith is placed in supposedly infallible systems like these and there's no redress when mistakes are made. We should all be very worried about the way this is going, especially with the forthcoming ID card debacle on the horizon.

As for the wappy judge's comment - "...the current position is "indefensible" because ethnic minorities are disproportionately represented on the database...."

Has it not occurred to him that reason that over 40% of Afro-Caribbeans are already on the database is because they are more likely to/ or already have committed a crime?

And never forget - What one man can do, another can undo - Your perceived advantage as a law enforcer can be turned to your disadvantage.
    Expect to see all kinds of 'cloned' DNA appearing at crime scenes near you very soon.
    If it is your DNA which has been 'cloned' or stolen, then expect to have a very hard time proving your innocence.

Dangerous ground ahead.

TT

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Ku-ryst, TT, I hope they don't clone any part of you.

3. ª¹

ª¹ New Member

"Anyone for Mass DNA Recording?
    Posted: Sep 5, 2007 7:35 PM Reply

FROM Today's BBC -

Should everyone in the UK be on the DNA database?

"How can we strike the balance between combating crime and guarding civil liberties?

A senior appeal court judge is calling for the national DNA database to be expanded to include everyone living in the UK - and everyone visiting the country.

Lord Justice Sedley says the current position is "indefensible" because ethnic minorities are disproportionately represented on the database and offenders who have evaded arrest are not included.

The chairman of the DNA database strategy board, Chief Constable Tony Lake, says there should be a debate about the future of the database. He has suggested that samples could be held for limited periods.

Would you be happy to have your DNA on the database? If you live outside the UK, would it stop you visiting the country? Would a comprehensive database help in fighting crime? Or would it just hit civil liberties?"

My view?

No, we should not all be on it by default. What is the point when those who are correctly found guilty are given ridiculously short sentences, and those who are flagged up falsely through incompetence cannot have their details removed. It worries me that such faith is placed in supposedly infallible systems like these and there's no redress when mistakes are made. We should all be very worried about the way this is going, especially with the forthcoming ID card debacle on the horizon.

As for the wappy judge's comment - "...the current position is "indefensible" because ethnic minorities are disproportionately represented on the database...."

Has it not occurred to him that reason that over 40% of Afro-Caribbeans are already on the database is because they are more likely to/ or already have committed a crime?

And never forget - What one man can do, another can undo - Your perceived advantage as a law enforcer can be turned to your disadvantage.
    Expect to see all kinds of 'cloned' DNA appearing at crime scenes near you very soon.
    If it is your DNA which has been 'cloned' or stolen, then expect to have a very hard time proving your innocence.

Dangerous ground ahead.

TT"

Sorry?

4. southelec

southelec New Member

A goverment spokesman said " we have no plans to set up out a DNA data base of the general public ".Don't hold your breath.

5. ª¹

ª¹ New Member

What if I want to go tombstoning?

6. southelec

southelec New Member

definitely

7. Jim

Jim Guest

They will have to have most of the world population on the database, coz most of them are over here

8. devil's advocate

No-one steals my DNA.

But I'll give it away quite freely.

9. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

What if I want to go tombstoning?

Yer - do it - I hear shallow rocky water is the best.

10. > No-one steals my DNA.

But I'll give it away quite freely.

who in christ's name would want your DNA..keep it to yourself

11. devil's advocate

Well, that's you of my ******* list.

[Edited by: admin23]

12. Harry_Davison

Harry_Davison New Member

IF we have too...
    I better hide them keepsakes an the ****** an leather ** mask ...

[Edited by: admin23]