Anyone got a Stanley Cubix Laser Level?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RipGroove, Jun 12, 2017.

1. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

It has 2 modes, locked and unlocked, and looking at videos and reviews online when it's in locked mode the gimbal should be locked and the laser shouldn't try to auto level, some of the product discriptions even state that you can lock it, flip it on its back and use it mark out on a ceiling...

BUT

I just bought one and the gimbal is loose in bothe locked and unlocked modes?! Which basically means when I flip it on it's back to project the laser to the ceiling the gimbal just flops back and as it can't auto level the laser keeps flashing which is REALLY a annoying when trying to move it into position precisely.

I had a quick look at the switch mechanism and it looks like it's designed so that the gimbal is loose when in locked and unlocked mode and the gimbal remains locked when the unit is powered off. So what the hell is the point in having a locked and unlocked mode if they are both exactly the same?

I'm probably going to return it tomorrow so I want to know if anyone else's unit actually locks in locked mode allowing you to project on a ceiling without the laser constantly flashing?

2. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

[​IMG] In fact here's what appears to be an official photo showing it being used on a ceiling. Mines does not do this, in unlocked mode the laser won't come on at all when pointed at the ceiling and in locked mode the laser won't point straight up as the gimbal is slack and the laser just keeps flashing.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They say here it can be locked for ceiling.

4. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Thanks, yeah mine definitely is not suitable for ceiling use, which was exactly why I bought it!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Faulty?

6. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Not sure, the switch mechanism looks like it does the exact same thing inside whether it's pushed to the lock or unlock position, i.e: the switch keeps making the gimbal slack.

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Yours is faulty. Mine definitely locks and the projected lines flash to let you know that it's in manual mode. It's not a bad little level for the money (if it works of course) however I also find I need a more powerful level with a wider/longer projection for some jobs.

8. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

So yours flashes when locked? Isn't that annoying? Either way mine won't lock at all unless it's switched off.

9. WillyEckerslike

It's meant to flash. It is so that you can use it out of plumb for working on angles such as stair rails but at least you know that and don't mistakenly think that things are vertical/horizontal when they're not. It's great for setting out floor tiling - you get used to the flashing.

10. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

OK so that's that, BUT, it still doesn't lock in the lock position, the gimbal is slack and wobbles about.

11. WillyEckerslike

I did say yours is faulty.

12. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I'll take it back tomorrow as at this point it doesn't do anything that my Bosch one doesn't do. I only bought the Stanley because it is supposed to lock, whereas my Bosch has no lock anyway.

13. RogerTheBodger

RogerTheBodger New Member

I purchased one of these last week and took it back as faulty as the laser did not lock in the locked position. The replacement did the same so I returned it today and they checked it against others in the shop. None of them locked in the locked position. The salesperson then looked at the instruction leaflet that was in the box and it mentions nothing about having a locked position yet the switch on the level shows locked and unlocked. I decided to keep it and when I got home I opened it up to see if anything was amiss and saw the switch has an unlocking cam in both positions, so it has been designed that way.
    Has this model been changed as I remember borrowing one a few years ago and am certain the laser pendulum did not swing when in the locked position.
    SLL1.jpg

14. WillyEckerslike

Just had a better look at mine.

With the switch in the central position (off) the gimbal is locked and no lights or laser.

In the right hand position (marked unlocked) the gimbal is free to swing, the laser operates or, if it's tilted, the laser goes off and the warning light illuminates.

In the left position (marked locked) the gimbal is loose but not free swinging, the warning light illuminates and the laser operates whilst flashing periodically - you can tilt the unit as much as you like and it still behaves in the same way.

Does that help?

15. RogerTheBodger

RogerTheBodger New Member

I contacted Stanley regarding this issue and this was their reply...
    'That feature had been taken off that unit. You will not be able to lock it in all angles. It is possible to tilt the laser few degrees but after that the beam will start flashing and you will not be able to lock the beam.'