Anyone had problems with Tennis/Carpenters Elbow?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mr moose, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Will certainly look into it! Be nice to pick up abrew whilst in bed and not whince

2. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Yeah I had an episode about 5 years ago similar age. Mine was probably from sawing up loads of logs for fire. Lasted about 3 months, docs advice worked a treat you need a tight strap that you can buy from chemist specifically for the problem, it works by restricting movement in the affected joint. Worked for me and had no trouble since but of course I’m only a diyer so can rest more than someone in the trade.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I have plantar fasciitis (known also as the Policeman's Heel syndrome). The funny thing is when that plays up my tennis elbow dose to. Very strange but I'm convinced the 2 are related. I find I have to keep stretching the calfs every few hours or it gets really bad and so dose my arm. Go figure

4. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Autologous blood injection- often done privately. There is some evidence but it is usually reserved when physio, supports, anti-inflammatory, and steroids have failed.

My problem has always been my knee. it became inflamed from kneeling on hard boards all day and has never really gone away. It is pretty difficult to rest as everything you do involves bending your knees. Supports help but do also seem to cause irritation so that at the end of the day I have a huge joint effusion. Just had the steroid injection so it is now fingers crossed it will improve. Coming up to a year with almost total inability to bend the knee has lead to some pretty inventive ways of getting down and back up from the floor!

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

In your case I'd be more concerned how it would affect ones love life :eek:

fostyrob likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I had so many problems with my right elbow that they operated and moved the Ulna nerve away from its original location. Not an operation I would recommend as it is ******* painful surgery, leaves a cracking scar and is just as painful afterwards. Still get tennis elbow and trigger finger in the little finger.

Supports can be beneficial but also can cause a lot of movement by further impeding the movement of the nerve within its protective sheath.

There are some exercises that help - these are standard ones https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org...es-to-manage-pain/tennis-elbow-exercises.aspx

Wayners likes this.
  7. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

I did do exercises but it was no doubt the strap that helped my recovery the most. It effectively stops pressure on the joint therefore resting the problem area.

8. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

+1 to the Novasonic and stretches, lighter tools, don't lift what you did when you
    were younger.
    Or tell your customers the've got to wait,you're having 6 months off.

mr moose likes this.
  9. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Just lie there!