Anyone know anything about dishwashers?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by billfromarran, Feb 26, 2018.

1. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

We have an indesit IDL 530 about 10 yrs old, but working quite well apart from the fact that it does not completely pump all the water out at the end of the cycle. It leaves about 1/2 " in the bottom of the machine. I have cleaned the filters .All the drain pipes are clear and not kinked. I bailed the residue of water out and put the machine on its side, removed the bottom panel and pump and checked it was clear . I also looked at what I assume is the water level switch .. connected to the "sump" by a rubber pipe. it clicks on and off when I blow into it.
    I think that the pump may be switching off too early?
    The upshot is that it is leaving a very slight gritty deposit on some of the dishes. I would welcome any ideas . Is there a dishwasher type help forum somewhere where I could post a query ?
    Thanks in advance. Have a good day

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Run a descaler through the machine, might help.

retiredsparks likes this.
  4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Ive just replaced my Indesit a couple of weeks back for the very same reason, the general consensus was the pump had failed and replacing it was more than half the cost of a new machine.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can recommend Bosch dishwashers, & AO.com.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I can thoroughly recommend Ikea dishwashers

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Bosch dishwashers, but get mine from John Lewis as have discount there. Have used AO.com, very good too.

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Any idea who actually makes them JP
    Rs

9. retiredsparks

Drain pump/...about 46 quid ?
    Rs

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Good afternoon RS - I am not 100 per cent certain but I believe they are of Whirlpool origin. I fitted mine what some 4 years ago and it has not missed a beat - very quiet and efficient..5 year guarantee also.

As a point of note - what me and the missus do is fill up salt container and leave it on minimum setting and use Lidl W5 dishwasher tablets - excellent tablet RS.

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Great tablets, as is Lidl biological & colourwash washing powder.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  12. retiredsparks

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I doubt that it is the pump as the machine is emptying, but not completely. I would look at the water level switch and all associated pipes and connections, make sure they are all cleaned out and not cracked. KIAB has a good suggestion, the descaler will clear out stuck grease and other deposits. Got a feeling that IKEA stuff is Electrolux, our steam oven from IKEA was made by them.

14. retiredsparks

Hi JP
    Thanks ...we have bosch and Mrs not mad on it.....good pointers.
    RS

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice one Mr K

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

RS many years ago, what maybe twenty or so years back we use to go to a lot of property call outs. The percentage of problems with Bosch washing machines and dishwashers was appreciable. If I remember correctly a lot of the times it was due to pump problems. However time marches on and I have no idea about Bosch white goods nowadays, however I do know that the Worcester Bosch boilers are spot on.

17. Philde

Philde Member

My previous machine had some kind of syphon pot on the emptying system, not sure how it all worked be it seemed to be related to the final emptying. When a 'breather' link pipe got blocked with gunge it had similar issues. If not already done so, look for the same sort of thing. The breather pipe seemed to be connected to a small reservoirwhich was also connected to the empying pump system.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

RS just as a point of note - the Ikea integrated dishwasher goes into a dishwasher cabinet, and Metod is Ikea's cabinet type now..would not like to say whether it would fit in other manufacturers cabs without mods etc.

19. retiredsparks

JP..got the WB boiler..as you may have noticed..lol
    The Bosch d/w...seems to leave water in the upturned cup bottoms...due to wrong angle....
    was in new house when we moved in...along with bosch oven which had all the legends worn off...not impressed.
    Our old hotpoint d/w was superb...and lasted for 23 years ....never touched it.
    Rs

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

23 years - now that is good RS..and also a pukka boiler in new gaff. All good m8.