Anyone know what could have caused this damage to bathroom tiles? Could it be intentional?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Ardent, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Ardent

Ardent Member

Hi all,

Got a bit of an odd one.
    I saw this damage to tiles around a bath/shower. To me, it looks like either this damage is caused intentionally or the wrong cleaning products have been used.

Does anyone know what might have caused this and how if could be remedied (if possible?)

Thanks,

R.

Attached Files:

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

Wow! Well it’s obviously an external factor, not from within the tiles themselves. Very obvious something has been sprayed on and has dripped down, pooling on the floor. No attempt to clean as none of it is smeared, it’s just been sprayed and left.

CSI stuff aside. I assume if you’re asking, that it’s permanent, you can’t wipe it off? Only ask as some of the floor damage around the toilet looks raised as if it is still on the surface.

Have you upset anyone recently?!

Ardent likes this.
  3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

'I saw this damage to tiles .......' Is this your house? Or a rental property which you own?

Just seems like a bit of an odd statement, that's all ....

Ardent likes this.
  4. Ardent

Ardent Member

LOL... No. I visited the property of one of our landlords yesterday, where a tenant has just moved-in. I've no idea when/how this occurred, and have asked those questions to the property manager, but I'm yet to receive a response

Sorry, I wasn't clear. This is the property of a landlord and the property manager asked us to pop-in to investigate what had got on... I've never seen anything like this.

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I assume they are not ceramic tiles. Are they tiles or wall boards, I expect some of the cheaper ones may react to mr muscle type cleaners

It is certainly quite a reaction to whatever was sprayed on them to clean them.

Ardent likes this.
  6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Been done deliberately no doubt. Have you tried to clean the tiles ? Are they Matt surface by any chance ?

Ardent likes this.
  7. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to lay money on a disgruntled tenant getting his/her own back on the landlord. The only thing I've ever seen which will do something like that to a ceramic/porcelain surface is something incredibly acidic or alkaline - alloy wheel cleaner or oven cleaning spray, for example, which contain phosphoric acid and caustic soda respectively. Some of the more aggressive bathroom cleaning products are similarly acidic, hence the packaging warnings about not letting them come into contact with metals. In my mind it's deliberate vandalism, no question - the simple fact is that it's been sprayed on and just left to do its job. If the surface is actually a plastic wallboard/panel material instead of tile, however - I'm guessing that a strong solvent such as acetone, cellulose thinners (or even pipe welding solvent) would also do the trick. Anything which dissolves plastic.

Either that - or the tenant has sprayed something on there in good faith, forgotten about it, gone back in an hour later, seen the damage, panicked, and not told the landlord what's happened.

Ardent and pppmacca43 like this.
  8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Deliberate - yes. Malicious - maybe. Although I would tend towards it being malicious too.

Ardent likes this.
  9. Ardent

Ardent Member

Thanks very much for your input... I'll speak to the property manager tomorrow and try to get the lowdown, but it looks like there might be some history with this one.

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Look at the size of them - is it ceramic?. My guess is this is accidental result of good intentioned cleaning with a very aggressive cleaner that has reacted with whatever the tiles are. I doubt there is a remedy except replacement.

quasar9 and pppmacca43 like this.