Anyone use DIY Kitchens?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by 14th edition, Apr 8, 2018.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Wondered what you thought of the above firm, they seem to have good reviews. They are based in Yorkshire and I am not, but I am a bit jarred off with Howdens prices! Cheers.

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Excellent firm used them a few times, no complaints,a very good range of unit sizes, will be using them here in a few months.

If your close to them, Pontefract, W.Yorks, go & have nosey in their showroom.

3. cliffk

cliffk New Member

fitted 4 kitchens from DIY and due to start another next week great quality and great selection of unit sizes, downside you need to order everything yourself as there is no planning service but as long as your competent and careful and ensure your order is correct then you cant go wrong.
    Nice showroom in Pontefract

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Yep, have fitted loads of them. Great quality.

Put one of them in my own house.

Way way better quality than Howdens.

KIAB likes this.
  6. cliffk

cliffk New Member

In my post planning service means no one will plan your kitchen for you as in a 'planning service' as mentioned by KIAB they do have a kitchen planner tucked away on the website but this is not a person to plan your kitchen for/with you but a planning tool which to be honest I dont find very helpful the responsibility to ensure you have a plan and place the order correctly is on the customer get that right and it's a great product

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

In the planner, based units are 560 deep, does that means there's a 40mm void behind as standard?

EDIT: question answered

Rear Service Void
    All our kitchen base units have a 42mm service void built into the backs of them. These areas are invisible to the naked eye once the kitchen worktop has been placed on top of the kitchen base units. This service void would be used to conceal waste pipes and any kind of wiring that needs to be hidden out of the way.

So if we do some math, the depth of our kitchen units are 560mm – 42mm service void – 8mm back panel = a total usable unit depth of 510mm.

8. goldenboy

Usable depth on bases is 510mm.

Usable depth on walls is 277mm.

Sink units have a dropped back about 175mm from top of unit.

All others are full height.

They have an 18mm rail on the backs with the 8mm pinned onto it so toward the top of the units the void is about 8mm deeper.

9. Dot99

Dot99 Member

I have a DIY Kitchen fitted. My builder/kitchen fitter thought there was a problem with the depth of the units being too shallow in particular when it came to installing the under counter oven which are 560cm depth.

10. goldenboy

Never had this problem. It will be an installer error for certain.

Could be a couple of things.

Either he has tried to use a 600mm base unit rather than a dedicated built under oven housing, or he has not planned it correctly and has put the supply for the oven in the wrong place and fouled the appliance.

You sometimes have to remove the back of the tall units to allow the oven to sit back but the base units come with no back.

It is tight sometimes with built in/under appliances but if the appliance doesnt fit in my experience it is installer error or poor planning.

11. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Every single built under oven i have ever fitted has been + or - 2mm, 550mm deep. Most of my time is spent fitting Omega Kitchens, they have always been 560mm deep. If you had a gas hob above your oven your installer should have run the supply pipe close to the corner of the oven housing.

12. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Well-Known Member

Fitted a couple. Nice quality for the price and lots of options. The only down side is they do not make 'L' shaped corner walls to line up with the base corner post solution. The corner walls are 600 x 600 and the corner base 900 x 900. All well and good. But when using a 1000 base with 500 door and corner post the corner planning measurement is 635. Pain in the arris.
    I will use them again but something to be aware of. BTW, just pull the base units off the wall a tad to get the more usual 570 depth.

13. 14th edition

Thanks for all the replies and info! Cheers guys.

14. goldenboy

+1 on this. Sounds very much like the oven issue is installler error

15. cliffk

cliffk New Member

Fitted a Zannisi single oven into a DIY kitchen and my daughter has 2 x Neff Hide and slide single ovens in DIY kitchen I had no problem fitting any of them

16. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

My own came from there, 3 years ago, following recommendations I'd seen here, and elsewhere.
    Though some way from us we paid a trip to the showroom, as part of another journey.
    They don't have "sales" staff on hand; just genuine, helpful, knowledgeable advisers. Even if you wanted to buy from these folk, you can't... you have to order online. If I remember correctly there are PCs in the showroom you can use to do that.
    Staff very helpful on phone... and I'm very happy with quality of the, (ready made, not flat pack), units. Good price too.
    I'll use them again when we do my bro-in-laws kitchen later this year.

Only downside is that the website is a bit of a faff to navigate!

Regards,

Cando

17. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

I've used them, good quality at a very good price.

The online planner is helpful and snaps units together, but that's no substitute for a meticulous check of the plan by hand to check for tolerances.

The planner only does the main units, so the other bits (pelmets, kicker boards, corner posts etc) need to be added manually but they do this for you if you use the option to submit your order for a check. You'll get an email within a day or so after someone in the office has added all the right bits. You can also call the helpline after the initial check and someone will talk you through any adjustments that you need.

The kitchen arrives with all the bits, I've not had any missing bits. You just need to provide your own brackets to secure the base units to the wall, or a timber rail to give yourself a bit of breathing space behind the sink and washing machine.

They have interesting delivery charges. The base charge is a notional one person delivery to the front door, and double charge for two people to carry the units into your kitchen. However the lorry will turn up with 2 people - a driver who takes the units to the tail lift, and a helper who checks the inventory and takes the units to the door. If you're friendly and it's a small order, the helper will give you a hand getting stuff into the house .... but don't rely on it because I imagine if they are running late they'll want to rush off.

18. xifwercs

xifwercs Member

I bought and fitted my own, The quality is good, be very mindful of their handling of items though. Mine had a missing end pillar, missing end unit, snapped end panel, feet missing from a base cabinet, missing door, all pelmets damaged on the corners were dropped, It took a long time to get the replacements as they'd miss parts from the replacement orders and some of the replacements damaged. They also ordered extra things i didn't need also which bumped up the price ie 2 types of air risers for some of the cabinets. Also their brochure and internet photos we doctored to have parts features that didn't exist (end caps on the pillars).
    It took about 4 months for me to start the kitchen so i didnt realise, they initially tried to fob me off saying I had like 90 days to check for damage and they wern't going to replace anything, I threatened court action and they relented, I eventually negotiated 250 pounds in compensation also at the end.... Kitchen looks good though

19. 14th edition

Fitting a kitchen at my place as we speak and picked up on DIY and that they had good reviews on quality and price. I got my kitchen designed by Howdens and used there list [minus prices/discount] to give to DIY. Amazingly it came out the same pretty much, I was expecting DIY to be cheaper!
    For me its a no brainer I will batter Howdens to lower the price as they are local.

20. xifwercs

xifwercs Member

Screenshot_2018-07-28-09-22-13.jpg Screenshot_2018-07-28-09-22-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-28-09-45-04.jpg
    The DIY (b and q) kitchens are a good quality, they also chucked in a cooker and hob which i sold for 500 on eBay, they also knocked off about 150 and I got the 250 compensation, it came in around 2k... I think? That's with them kidney pull out pan things and pull out lader system for the larger cupboard and premium pull out aluminium drawers behind a pull out door , they cupboard doors are more aligned now than in the picture (dishwasher was a few mm out). I preferred them over howdens and wren, the customer service was a bit disconnected though as mentioned above when I had issues which they sorted in the end. I fitted that about 2 years ago and no issues so far with the quality. Good luck with the fitting

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018