Apple iMac hard drive recall

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lokkars Daisy, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Recieved this email yesterday, how about you Wally or anyone else.
    Think I should make a back up before shipping off for a replacement , anyone recommend an external drive for back up?
    Also do you use Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner for back up purposes ?

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="color: #000000; font-family: Verdana; font-size: medium;" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" class="hd_main" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 16px; padding-left: 0px;" valign="top">
    Apple has determined that certain 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.</td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="color: #000000; font-family: Verdana; font-size: medium;" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" class="hd_main" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 16px; padding-left: 0px;" valign="top">

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Now, if you used Windows, I would recommend http://www.easeus.com/.  It actually clones the disk, sector by sector, allowing you to clone your existing disk to a new or larger one, and then still boot to your operating system.  They do do a MAC version, but you have to pay.

Can you not just get yourself a USB or network hard drive and backup all your essential stuff (as you should already be doing - hard drives do fail eventually), and then copy these back after you recieve your nice clean MAC back?

3. J.P.

J.P. New Member

When you get your new drive buy another one and stick it in machine and use 2nd one for backup - all on board and no faffing with external units...of course flash for transporting stuff. That's what I do on my Windows XP machine LD. Best operating system ever made - better then my Windows 7 on the laptop and stuff..maybe not as good as the OSX though but I cant really say as have on limited usage of the OSX .

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I notice, Apple expect you have saved the original installation disks that came with the computer. This means your doing the installation from scratch on the new drive. What do you do about programs you may have paid for and downloaded from the Apple Store though? What about music etc?. Personally, I'd want Apple to do the cloning of the drive info onto the new HDD so you get your iMac back the way it was when they got it. Same programs, files, music etc installed.
    Very poor support from Apple (as usual) ;)

5. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Yes Lec, I'll get a usb hard drive , just wanting a recommendation for model type , however if the Mac Seagate can fail I guess any can , 
    Stick a second in the Imac JP !!!!  wouldn't know where to start , there isn't a screw in sight

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

JJ the service centre have advised that they will offer me a free data cloning service, does this mean they will copy and reload all that is on disc at present ? On the other hand this might be an opportunity to clear all the rubbish I have downloaded, having saved music, movies, pics etc prior to extermination

7. Lectrician

Oddly, I would get a Seagate, Western Digital or a Maxtor.  The three leading brands.  All do USB drives, but you can also get a USB caddy and a 'normal' drive to go in it.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Are you sure you don't already have a 'Disk Utility' program on your system already, which would enable you to make a clone?

You'd just need the flash drive or external HDD then.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Yes handy, there is Time Machine which backs up everything but doesnt reboot from scratch and I can find something to clone everything . Just wondering if anyone had any tips or comments . I suppose I will buy a usb hard drive and copy all important stuff , any recommendations for a hard drive

10. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Don't know much about that daisy.  I would advise that you get it fitted by Apple & I think it will be free of charge.   I thought you could back it all up on apples icloud.   When I get stuck, example I wanted the screen cleaned, I am a smoker & it gets in through the bottom fan grill & gets a haze on the inside glass i call on this local chap.   He works as a mechanic but is also a certified apple engineer.    All the bits are behind the screen ie first the glass, then the display then all the working parts, it is held on by magnets & have to use a smaller version of what the window glass folk use like glass suction pads.  2 suction pads are used to first lift the glass off from the top first (think thats right)

11. Mr. Handyandy

12. Mr. Handyandy

As for hard drives, never had one die on a computer. Used Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor.

Two netbook hard drives I've known to die, both Hitachi drives. Suspect lack of ventilation.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Ah yes Wally , I googled and read something about removing screen with suckers ,,, magnets wouold make sense. Thought you had bought a Mac in the last three years , so be in line for a new HD
    Thanks Handy, it all helps

14. Lectrician

I would always encourage people to get a second drive and regularly backup.  Just last week while working in someones home, they said how they took their laptop to PC world for repair and it returned with all their photos gone.  They were lucky as they still had several on the camera itself.  They now have their photos on a CD-Rom, aswell as the laptop.

Harddrives will fail, you must make sure you backup!

15. joinerjohn1

PC World,,,     Enough said.

16. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Don't switch pc off,, urban moth ?
    Don't switch router off , exchange thinks your connection can't handle speed so speed is lowered

17. J.P.

J.P. New Member

18. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

19. joinerjohn1

Dunno about that Lokks. Energy wise, you'll save electrickery by switching it off, but,,,,, another school of thought, maintains that leaving it on , will save wear and tear on the hard drive and other computer parts (electric surges at startup affecting the mobo and other components) . So really, I don't know whether it's an urban myth or not. (my older brother is an IT manager and he swears by the "leave them on " philosophy. (there again, the servers and systems he looks after , are usually on 24/7) ;)

20. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Concur 24/7 servers ,,,but switch off home pc's there ain't no nothing more precious in a pc than in t telly ,,,an only a plonk or teenager would leave telly on 24/7