Apple Mac / Music query

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Offshore, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Evening.

I have an Apple Mac that is about 10 years old. We bought it initially because we had a few iPads in the household and thought it made sense to stay with Apple - not sure if this was the case but that was the decision we made at the time. I probably use my iPad about 80% of the time and the Mac for the other times when I need to work on a document, for example, and need to use the keyboard rather than a touch screen. I am considering changing it for a Windows based PC or laptop - I use a Windows Laptop for work and I am just much more comfortable using Windows based systems. The Mac is pretty slow now anyway. The problem I am having is that I have a lot of music stored on my Mac - about 10,000 tracks that have either been uploaded from my CD library or purchased via iTunes over the years - this is the library for my Sonos system which we use quite a lot. I recently tried to transfer the entire music library to an external hard drive, in preparation for replacing the Mac. This seemed to go fine, all the files were transferred across and they are all visible on the hard drive and I can play them from the hard drive, as long as it is connected to my Mac. However, I can't play them anywhere else. I tried plugging the HD into the USB port in my car but it does not recognise the files. I believe they are saved as MP4 files. Does this mean I can only play them on an Apple device? It is quite a major factor in my buying decision. I don't really want to stay with an Apple based system if I don't have to.
    Thanks for any advice

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I know it doesn’t answer your real question but you can use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse with an iPad (possibly subject to model and OS version), which I find useful for some apps.

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Use a file converter. You can convert the files to any format you require.
    For example, this is a link to convert from mp4 to mp3. https://convertio.co/mp4-mp3/
    P
    s. This link is not a recommendation just an example.
    Good luck:)

4. Kingscurate

Kingscurate Active Member

Off top of my head, apple wont let you move copyrighted or sold by them to just any old place.
    So a few options, pay for apple music and then all of your stuff is held in cloud and you can use any device to stream/play.
    You can download itunes to windows and your library can be copied from mac to icloud to new win pc. Or similar

Another option to convert to mp3 from the library menu on your mac.
    The stuff you bought from itunes is still Apples(i think) just that they let u listen to it.
    Think Bruce Willis had a battle with Apple over his iTunes library.

5. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Try saving as mp3, or burning as mp3

6. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

I think you'll find it's one of two things:

One, the music may be tied to your Apple ID. Meaning that only a Mac or PC running iTunes software registered to you can play those files. Apple allows (I believe) a total of ten devices to have the same account running simultaneously.

And two, I believe iTunes saves music in a different format Audio Interchange File Format, AIFF, which is generally only used by Apple. A Windows PC running iTunes can play these files, but can't use generic Windows music players.

As noted above, you can get apps that will convert AIFF files to the more common MP3. I've used these with some degree of success. But I wouldn't expect 100% of your files to convert.

7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If you move to a pc your iTunes library can move across. But I don’t think the Sonos will ever work from a network hard disk.
    Personally I pay for iTunes and it allowed me to upload the stuff I ripped from CD etc and access their catalogue. My Sonos streams happily from there without the need to faff about with hard drives.
    Also it allows access to your entire collection when you are out or driving etc.

8. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Thanks, all. Appreciate the advice.

I feel a bit like the guy in the Not The 9 o'clock News Hifi shop sketch.

Do you want a Dolby etc....