Applying the 3 meter rule properly

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by PeterMouse, Sep 7, 2018.

1. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Sorry not sure there’s anything worth responding to?
    You seem to think ‘or’ means ‘and’, and seem to also think ESQCR says BS7671 must be complied with, when in fact it says ‘the British Standard’.
    ESQCR uses the term ‘British Standard’ to encompass installations which fall outside of the scope of BS7671, such as Mines and Quarries, Lift Shafts, etc.

ESQCR Regulation 25(2) is split into two parts.
    (A) deals with compliance with Standards and Regulations.
    (B) deals with situations not covered by Standards and Regulations.

In effect the Regulation is stating a connection to the supply must be refused if there is reasonable grounds to believe the installation doesn’t (A) comply with the relevant Standard or Regulations, ‘or’ (B) does comply but logic not withstanding, allowing the connection would cause a disruption to the network or present a danger.

It’s kind of a get out clause.
    The Regulations require the DNO’s to allow connections, but gives them specific and non-specific reasons why they can refuse.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

From the ESQCR...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2665/contents/made

(5) In these Regulations, unless the context otherwise requires— “British Standard Requirements” means the British Standard Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671 : 2001 IEE Wiring Regulations 16th Edition ISBN 0 85296 988 0, 2001 (as amended by Amendment No. 1 (AMD 13628) February 2002);

(a) the consumer’s installation, street electrical fixture or other distributor’s network fails to comply with British Standard Requirements or these Regulations; or

Looks pretty clear to me what they mean is 7671 and nothing else. So how do you get a supply to something ourside the scope of 7671? If your interpretation of the ESQCR is correct then only an act of Parliament would permit the connection of lifts, mines etc. Where are these acts?

They only have reasonable grounds to refuse connections.

26.—...

(5) Any dispute between the distributor and the consumer or other distributor or owner of the street electrical fixture (as the case may be), over the disconnection of or refusal to connect the consumer’s installation or other distributor’s network or street electrical fixture which cannot be resolved between them, may be referred by any of them to the Secretary of State who shall appoint a suitably qualified person to determine the dispute and to order as he thinks fit whether the costs (or any part of them) associated with the determination should be borne by one or other of the parties.

Ergo, they can "refuse" connections just because they feel like it. So (b) doesn't give them any kind of get out clause.

I don't think AND and OR are the same thing. You are not reading what I have posted properly.

In fact your not even bothering to actually read the ESQCR properly.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

@spinlondon Can I get a reply here please to my last post. It's been a few days now.

4. spinlondon

Lol.
    You argue that there is no law requiring an installation to comply with BS7671 to be connected to the public network.
    Then argue that there would have to be a contract between the consumer and the DNO, before the DNO could refuse a connection.
    Now you argue that there is a law requiring installations comply with BS7671.

I think that as you are now arguing my point, there is little more for me to say.

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

No I'm not. Your not reading anything I'm posting properly and now your avoiding my question. Do you, or do you not agree that this...

(a) the consumer’s installation, street electrical fixture or other distributor’s network fails to comply with British Standard Requirements or these Regulations; or

can only mean bs7671 because of this...

(5) In these Regulations, unless the context otherwise requires— “British Standard Requirements” means the British Standard Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671 : 2001 IEE Wiring Regulations 16th Edition ISBN 0 85296 988 0, 2001 (as amended by Amendment No. 1 (AMD 13628) February 2002);

Yes or No. Simples.

6. spinlondon

Doesn’t matter.
    I said right from the outset, that the DNO could refuse a connection if the installation does not comply with BS7671.
    You have argued that there is no law or contract that would allow this.
    Now you’ve noticed (after being told umpteen times) that there is a law after all.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

What utter rubbish. Of course it matters. It matters a lot. Your whole argument is based on this.

ESQCR uses the term ‘British Standard’ to encompass installations which fall outside of the scope of BS7671, such as Mines and Quarries, Lift Shafts, etc.

Now your just avoiding the point. Your doing this as you know I'm correct.

So I say again,

Do you, or do you not agree that this...

can only mean bs7671 because of this...

Yes or No. Simples.