Apprentice Electricians Toolkit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DaveMitch, Nov 19, 2021.

1. DaveMitch

DaveMitch New Member

Hi Everyone,
    My daughters boyfriend is starting an electrical apprenticeship next week, he has been told he can borrow, for a weekly charge, tools from the company he is doing his apprenticeship with, which makes me dubious about the company, but anyway.
    As he is naturally skint as is the way with all teenagers, I have said I'll buy him a starter toolkit and then he can pay me back.
    So, help, what should be in his starter toolkit?
    Many thanks in advance

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

That is a very generous offer. You need to set a budget as tools can be expensive. You need to discuss with him what tools he really needs. We can make suggestions but it may not be what he needs.
    Regardless of anything else make sure he gets a two pole voltage tester, that way he may live to the end of his apprenticeship.
    Other than that try to buy quality tools that will last.
    If you search our hosts site for "electricians tool kit" you will find a price range from £30 - £1000.

DaveMitch likes this.
  3. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

1st year apprentices having to rent tools, that is a poor show by the company, never heard of that before.
    What type of work does this electrical company do:
    house rewires?
    Commercial installs?
    Industrial Installs?
    Commercial/Industrial maintenance?
    Very basic would be:
    Set of insulated screwdrivers
    Big ugly hitting screwdriver (general purpose)
    125 or 150mm insulated pliers
    Long nose pliers
    Snips
    Two 10” adjustable spanners
    One 6” adjustable spanner
    Claw hammer
    Junior and 12” hacksaw
    5m Tape measure
    Tool bag

There is lots more tools and including test and prove dead equipment but that would certainly get him going for what he would be expected to do as a 1st year.

If you are close to central Scotland pop by and I will help you out.

Jord86 and DaveMitch like this.
  4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Wiha slimfix screwdriver set 8820G. These fit inside the tunnels on RCBOs etc.

Fluke or Megger voltage indicator pen.

CK cutters 31773. These have wire strippers for 2.5 and 1.5 mm cable in the blades.

CK snipe/ long nosed pliers 9037K

Fluke T110 voltage and continuity tester 2847J. This has single pole voltage indication and low resistance voltage testing to eliminate phantom voltages.

A folding Stanley knife.

That’s enough to do most domestic 2nd fixes and replace fittings, it’s also around two hundred quids worth of tools so might be the point to stop with a starter kit for your daughters boyfriend.

Realistically you probably need to go to around five hundred quid, but I’m sure some things will come to hand like a claw hammer without buying a new one.

DaveMitch likes this.
  5. The Happy Builder

I presume the training company are renting the tools to him, welcome to the world of grown ups.

When you take your car to any garage for service or repair, who do you think owns the hand tools?

DaveMitch likes this.
  6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

When I went to work for many large companies, I was told in no uncertain terms their insurance required all tools to be provided by the company, only that way can the company ensure the tools are maintained in good condition.

Years ago when I was an apprentice it was spanners up to 1" (24 mm) screwdrivers, pliers, and snips etc. But even crimp pliers should be calibrated, only one firm I have worked for GEC large steam turbines actually did that.

Even as a volunteer with my local heritage railway I should not use my own tools, I do, but officially not permitted. Many places moving spanners are not permitted, they may mark the gland, water pump pliers big no no. Yet on maintenance rather than installation they were standard tools.

Health and safety equipment must be provided by the company, however as a volunteer I bought my own safety boots, and also overalls with nice logo upload_2021-11-19_12-42-26.png and staff written on them, but technically they should be provided, we bend the rules a little as it is a charity. Technically I have donated the overalls and then the firm issued them to me.

Same with tools, we donate then get issued with them, so safety officer if he sees a hammer with loose head can quarantine the hammer, same cold chisel with mushroomed head.

In real terms the problem is if the tools are not yours, you may not look after them as well, so firms try some method so people look after their tools. I have been on many jobs where told at end of job the tools are yours, done so you look after them. If self employed then yes you provide your own tools, but the days of paying for an apprenticeship are gone, never seen it with electricians, have seen it with hair dressers.

It is like the films of joining the army, your issued with so much personal kit, boots, wellingtons, even socks for inside wellingtons, overalls, or other hi-vis clothing last job even a kit bag to keep it all in. hard hats, bump caps the list goes one, I do wonder how much it costs a firm when a new employee walks in?

DaveMitch likes this.
  7. The Happy Builder

New employee in a leased van, probably at least £10k with them providing their own hand tools, the employer should pay tool money to cover maintenance and replacement, but not pay for them in the first place.

DaveMitch likes this.
  8. The Happy Builder

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

DaveMitch likes this.
  10. The Happy Builder

The list, like the tools on it, is somewhat dated.

When was the last time you saw an electrician out and about with a steel cantilever tool box. I have one for "mechanics tools", but it does not ride around in the can with me.

DaveMitch likes this.
  11. Bazza-spark

Comment was for the benefit of the OP.

12. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

He will definitely need a multi tool and an impact driver and you can get some reasonable deals to buy them together. Obviously he will need various hand tools,screwdrivers etc but I still can't believe how I used to manage without my multi tool and impact driver .
    And don't forget safety glasses and gloves and tell him to use them when needed.

DaveMitch likes this.
  13. The Happy Builder

With the tools I listed above an apprentice should be able to work alongside an electrician without winding them up too much by asking to borrow tools and check they aren’t about to kill themselves.

In the past most other tools could probably be “borrowed” out of their dad’s shed, but I don’t think the world is like that anymore.

DaveMitch likes this.
  14. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Dustpan and brush. It’ll make him unique amongst sparks.

15. The Happy Builder

Not on the list, are you trying to change the National Working Rules Agreement?

Alex Posterns and DaveMitch like this.
  16. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Dustpan and brush? Stick that in the cantilever toolbox. Sparks these days are more likely to have a Bluetooth cordless hoover that has got DAB and lights and all sorts

DaveMitch likes this.
  17. The Happy Builder

I work with a guy who has a Bluetooth Festool vacuum extractor, he uses it to blow dry his motor bikes after pressure washing them.

18. Bazza-spark

I really hate other people using my tools.

I have a 1/4" drive socket set that I bought in 1976, and it stayed in it's original metal container and in order until I let somebody borrow it a few years ago. Came back with 2 missing sockets :mad:.

When I was training, Friday afternoon was cleaning hour. We stopped work an hour before the end of the day and cleaned and oiled all our tools before putting them away for the weekend.

Your tools are your bread and butter so you learned to respect them.

Still do it now when I use them.

Abbadon2001, ginger tuffs and Adamfya like this.
  19. The Happy Builder

20. Bazza-spark