Apprentice Joiner/Carpenter help

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Zh123, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What's wrong with it, and what do you think it should be instead?

2. amendment2

amendment2 Active Member

If you don't know, its pointless discussing, but I do know how it should be done, because I was taught by a joiner.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Well he clearly didn't teach you any manners did he? If you are somehow referencing a marking or combination gauge within your unhelpful post then you would have an extremely rude awakening if you happened to wander onto a job site in the real world.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. amendment2

amendment2 Active Member

You're just trying to start an argument

5. Zh123

Zh123 Member

Little Update…
    So apparently I cannot become an apprentice joiner. As I already hold a diploma in joiner the government would not fund me to train in a skill I already have trained in. Even though I was at college to do bench joinery and have applied to become a site joiner it’s different but has transferable skills so I cannot be funded.

On the plus side I messaged a company 2 days ago who were advertising for a joiner/kitchen fitter. I simply asked them for some work experience as I want to get into the industry. The boss of the company rang me and I explained I would like more experience and would like to be in the industry full time. Mentioned that I have some experience labouring so I’m not shy to hard work. Anyway he messaged me today asking if I’d like a 3 day trial next week and go from there. I’m going to work my **** of those 3 days, listen to any instruction, get their early and be professional.

Good news and bad news come in pairs. Even though I can’t get an apprenticeship in joinery I can still apply for other trades. The company I’m doing a 3 day trial with mainly do extensions, kitchens and bathrooms. So even if I’m labouring it’ll be some good experience. Any tips on how to stand out next week on my trial?

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  6. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Good.

7. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

Labouring is your best way in imo. Did my carpentry diploma 10 years ago and got a job labouring with someone on the course and worked my way onto the tools fairly quickly.
    If you turn up on time, don’t stare at your phone all day, bring some lunch so you’re not off to the shop every couple hours, are polite to the clients and generally nice to be around then you’re already head and shoulders above most labourers.
    Ask what to do next when you’ve done what you’ve been told, if you can’t tell what to do and people are busy pick up a broom or tidy the site.
    Take a stanly, tape, pencil, pry bar, hammer maybe a couple of screwdrivers, should get you through most simple tasks without having to borrow other guys tools

chillimonster likes this.
  8. amendment2

amendment2 Active Member

Wear your best frock, but no heels, toetecters are compulsory.

Good luck, think about what you are doing and prove the old adage "the harder you work the luckier you get"

9. Zh123

Zh123 Member

Last day tomorrow working with this building firm. The first day I was pulling up flooring and then helping a builder put the new flooring down. Second day moving some heavy beams which I’m no stranger to and then helping make some stud walls. Not been working with the main lad who offered me the 3 day trial been mainly with his builder but I’ve shown initiative and always been busy. I’m getting paid 80 quid a day for this 3 day trial as a labourer which I’m happy with. Not sure what’ll happen tomorrow, I’m hoping I’ll get a job offer but if not it’s still experience and some cash.