Apprenticeship / CITB courses

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Kevc, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Kevc

Kevc New Member

Hi , I'm becoming redundant soon and im looking at ways to increase my chances to get taken onto an apprenticeship.
    My GCSEs are lacking , at D for both English and maths. If I were to put my self through a level 1 CITB course in carpentry and joinery , would a potential employer look upon that favourably and overlook the GCSEs? I've seen these courses reffered to as 'micky mouse courses'.

Any other comments and advice welcome , thanks.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Are you older than normal apprentice age? I'd say if you've been in a different job, then decided to pursue this off you own back and put yourself on this course it would be looked on favourably. You'd need a certain amount of maths skills in your head but we're not talking rocket science level. I'd certainly overlook gcse results if someone hadn't common sense and get up and go

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Re sit your english & maths. Should be easy to move up to a C or higher. That will serve you well for whatever direction life takes you.

4. Kevc

Kevc New Member

Thats the plan, i've just got some tools, going to try some beginner projects and see how i get on. Do a level 1 course and hopefully by-pass the GCSEs. I'm 31, so relatively old. Do you think an apprenticeship is a good route or is there a better way of getting into the business? without the apprenticeship poverty wage.

5. Kevc

Kevc New Member

I think i will do after seeing how restricted i am at the moment, but im in rush to get traind up.

6. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I haven't got any gcse's at all due to being educated elsewhere with no transferable quals. I had to do a key skills course while doing apprenticeship here due to lack of GCSEs. I would seriously advise forgetting about them. Never been asked for them and any employer taking you on will talk to you, see your not an idiot, see your motivated having put yourself through college and hopefully take you on. I just can't see GCSEs making any difference? Unless your planning to work for a ftse size company?! Whereabouts in country are you?

Jord86 and AlvyChippy like this.
  7. Kevc

Kevc New Member

I only care about GCSEs as far as allowing me to apply for certain things, the majoirty of vaccancies i want to apply for, C and above is 'essential'. But i dont want to wait around, ill find ways around it and maybe persue the C or above on the side, not a central focus for now.
    Now im forgetting about apprenticeships also, just do these course's, get a job's as a labourer, get experience and try make connections from there, that way i dont have to live in poverty.
    I'm in Nottingham at the moment.