Arched wooden door frame. How can I make it?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Dec 2, 2008.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

OK I'll put up my hand immediately and say that woodwork is not my best subject (failed GCE "O" level - remember those?).

I would like to install an outer front door to our house (to reduce traffic noise and drafts) which would be in the outside wall of a porch area. The opening for the new doorway has a curved top. I can't fit a rectangular door (with a curved top light) as the top curve extends too low before becoming parallel sided. I need to fit a 4x2 frame so the question is, how do I curve it over the top? I've had thoughts of making sawcuts partially through the wood and ("steam"?)bending it to the correct radius or using small chunks of wood with some sort of filler in the gaps. Is it posible to get solid wood panels 2" thick? I could then cut the frame "out of the solid". Please excuse my lack of knowledge and technical terms. Thanks for any comments/suggestions
    PTP

2. MattChip

MattChip New Member

I have one of these to do in january and plan to fit a 2"x4" door frame

The arch at the top i plan to do making a curved, probably hollow box

I shall trace the curve and jigsaw the shape onto planks and then pin and glue it - of course the wood shall be the same as the frame and adding the underside from timber thin enough to bend

with care and a bit of sanding who will know once it's done?

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

it's done?

Thanks Mattchip - a good idea if I understand you correctly. Are you effectively making up a series of thinnish arches from planks and sticking them together to get the 2" thickness? In my case the planks would have to be about 18" wide so I would have to use ply sheets. Sorry if I misunderstood - not my chosen subject!
    PTP

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

if the frame is to be 4x2 then start with 2 lengths 2x2.
    cut them to short lengths of aprox 150mm with say a 11 degree cut on each end of each peice this should give you an octogon biscuit join and glue and clamp together after geting a rough fit to the arch you have in the wall.
    once set itsa case of planing the outside edge till it fits the arch, take next length 2x2 and repeat just remember to stagger the but joints between the 2 sections.
    once arch tops are formed stand them onto 4x2 legs!

hope that makes sence and helps :)

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

spot on as cordless say but your timbers need to be around 50% wider than you need [dependant on arc]to accomodate the curve
    aim for a hexegon or octogon dependant on radius

big all