Architrave bead to wall

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Feb 21, 2021.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all I’m putting arches around the door, I have a thin mould one side. Is it possible to cut mdf down with this

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Does anyone cheats and bead with timber to match

Attached Files:

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Use a length of doorstop and bevel the edge where it meets the top quirk of the architrave or use a 18-25mm softwood quadrant bead and again notch it slightly to meet the architrave seamlessly. A lot of people would leave it and not bother.

tore81 likes this.
  4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

it just doesn’t look finished, not sure why they didn’t used to leave a leaf for this looks naff. Old houses I suppose

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

hi jord it was just left before but as it’s my house I wanted to get a nicer finish.

managed to sort that. I’ve hit another issue now where two doors meet I have to take 5mm off the width of architrave but I want it to look straight finished cut so no handsaw.

my set up isn’t the best I’m guessing a table saw would be ideal for this. I have circ saw but I’m not sure about the parallel guide.

How would you set up to cut for this

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

lay a couple of architraves or some other material which is the same thickness underneath the body of the saw so it sits stable and even. use a straight edge as your guide.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I agree with all the above - 'most peeps would leave but it looks unfinished' - totally with you guys on this one

Pine D Shaped Moulding works well in this case, available in a variety of widths from say BQ in 2.4 lengths

Hand plane the profile on wall side (if you want) as may need to scribe to wall but also, if you leave the profile against wall, you get a small gap where the moulding curves. Small block plane and 2 minutes and job done, tight fit to wall, a wipe of caulk will close any gaps and give a seamless junction

Match width of moulding (or plane down wider moulding as required) to give same size step on lining as to architrave
    Its thin enough so will match depth of architrave at top of door

You seem to do a fair amount of work / carpentry so consider treating yourself to a table saw perhaps ?

I'm diy, got a SF budget own brand Titan Table Saw - not saying its the best out there (its not) but for the money, you get a lot of machine. Currently reduced to just £100.00. I've got a few blades so swap round depending on what I'm cutting, recently cut some white Conti Board with a 60 tooth Freud blade and the finish was super neat and chip free. The table is way too big for my garage so either use the saw on the floor or sits on a Black & Decker workmate with a ply top I made. Go on, treat yourself Tore :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    tore81 likes this.
  8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Also any thoughts how to finish this frame, where to frames meet each other

Attached Files:

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Arc on the left frame, quadrant on the right. Don't bother with a table saw unless you really want one, I don't own one in fifteen years of butchering wood.

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

If I arch the left no room for bead on the right. Can’t find any pictures online

Attached Files:

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No offence but you are trying to polish a turddd, just fit the arc on the left lining, put a small chamfer on the side of the right leg so it butts into the right hand lining or fit a tiny 6mm quadrant if that bothered.

tore81 and kitfit1 like this.
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Jord - can I just make it clear that I wasn’t suggesting that tore invests in a table saw for this single piece of architrave trim !

More that he seems to take on a fair amount of carpentry work - be it diy or as a trade, I don’t know and was talking a few posts ago about ripping down some timber to size

Ok, can usually do any given job with a bit of thought and a variety of tools and I don’t use my table saw from one month to the next but, for a £100, for me, was a worthwhile investment

Re-roofed my garage in the summer and used UPVC capping boards which needed trimming down, both width and the depth of the lip. Was a pleasure and took seconds to run a 5m length through the table saw, cutting mm perfect

Also great when you need a specific size piece of batten and you’ve got oversized stuff in the garage, easy to cut the exact size you need

Tried some Conti Board on it few weeks ago, would usually use a track saw but gave the table saw a try with great results

Just find it a handy machine to have, even if it gets used just a few times a year and for 100 quid, it won’t break the bank

Get it that it’s not a pro tool, maybe not accurate enough but no pro would turn up on site with a tool branded Titan :eek: - that I understand :)

tore81 likes this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I wasn't doubting or quoting you Dave, I was replying to and referencing post five. Nothing wrong with Titan, I'm not a tool snob as if it works it works, I'm the first one to suggest inexpensive hand tools over expensive power tools.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheers Jord, that’s good to hear

I suppose in many trades, tool snobbery and tool envy is alive and kicking but refreshing to know that your happy to rate a tool on its performance, rather than simply its badge of honour !

15. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

for what it's worth, i picked up a Macallister table saw that was on clearance from SF, £50. Yes the fence is ****, but a few tweaks and i've made into something that is usable for the few times i need to rip down thin strips.

tore81 likes this.
  16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

SF seem to be phasing out a lot of Titan stock and replacing it with Macallister brand - it’s part of their owners, Kingfisher Group, streamlining the number of brands they current stock within their portfolio

£50 is a great price for ‘usable’ machine !

Like the Titan, the fence does come with adjustment screws and took some setting up out the box but, not all work needs to be super accurate but, accuracy can be achieved when needed

I’ve just ripped down some lengths of 4x2s that came out my brothers loft that was his cold tank raised platform (had his boiler system changed)

He needed some batten for garage shelves and ok, could have bought some sawn timber for a few quid but easy enough to rip these old timbers down and re-purpose them

I’ve also got a circular saw and track saw but the table saw was by far, the easiest and quickest option here. Brush it down and it slides back under my garage work bench for another few months !

I-Man likes this.