Are all national double double glazing companies ethically bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Muzungu, May 12, 2023.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

So here we go again with another national double glazing company using the same old story to try and get custom.

Neighbour down the road having all his windows replaced. As suspected we got a knock on the door, as did everyone, with a flier and an offer of a survey. Why not I thought (I should know better) lets make an appointment for the surveyor (salesman). 5 pane bay window and single window ground floor could do with replacing as the panes are blown.

£10,600!!! immediately reduced on the day to £6500 due to their "help to buy" scheme whatever that is.

So then a couple of days after this someone else rang from the company with the age old tale:

• Job has been cancelled in my area
    • Team will be sitting around doing nothing
    • Cost price but need a quick decision

I have had this story every single time from the big companies over the years, with slight variations, whenever I have got quotes for windows. I would have thought they would be embarrassed at trotting out this tired tale.

What annoys me is that they will get away with this sometimes and are in effect conning people out of thousands and it's only the national companies that do this who have the big advertising budgets and celebrity endorsements. The local company that I use just give me a price and that's it, no "calling the manager" and similar bull.

Anyway, minor rant over.

*Edit - I know I typed in "double" in the title twice!

Rosso, CGN and gadget man like this.
  2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Bankrupt? How can they be when they have never been solvent in that area?

Resmond and Muzungu like this.
  3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

You were shortchanged ! A “proper surveyor” (they are never salesperson) would have performed at least half an hour of acting worthy of a spot in fwalty towers, and perhaps running into hours! The repeated fake calls to his boss , followed in stages to the chief executive himself. The show of agony and the effort he had to go through to get you the very best of deals, every word spoken loudly and repeated thrice (might be believable in the crackly landline in the 70s).

but not all companies are like that ! At the height of COVID when many DG factories were shut, I tried a local supplier. Asked for a price of a standard UPVC French door with two side panels, complete with exact drawing . Saleswoman replied it was a complex request and would have to ask her boss. Next day dropped in again and scrawled on a back of the drawing, a ridiculous quote for a bifold, with words “best quality” and underlined. I paid less than third when the local factory reopened a week later, including a premium to jump the queue.

DBCDIY, CGN and Muzungu like this.
  4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I use a local company who manufacture their own windows. Last job I had done was the porch. Their quote was half that of the bigger companies and the guy who came round was the fitter. He did the measurements and then I got an email with a single price and drawings. They did a really tidy job.

CGN likes this.
  5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

There is nothing to beat the fitter doing the measure: we've had our place and 3 rentals done by the same guy and every window is a perfect fit and a tidy job (and pay on completion: how many of the nationals don't want a hefty deposit?)

CGN likes this.
  6. Kingscurate

Kingscurate Active Member

If they ring again, tell them you want a quote for a conservatory on a 2nd floor flat

FUNDIMOLD likes this.
  7. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

It’s like buying a suite. I don’t think you can buy one that wasn’t 10k last week but only one left if you want to secure it today.

8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

If you didn’t already know, these furniture palaces play a planned game appearing to give a true 50% discount. The industry is planned on a 3/6 month life cycle for an average product. It’s introduced at an inflated prices and within a week or two slashed to 50% of the original. They get round the law by using different product names for essentially the same product with most minor of changes. That way they don’t have to declare the minimum statutory period at the higher price. Once the three/six months is up any remaining furniture is withdrawn (as new stock has arrived) and sold off via outlets as end of range or last one.

9. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

A complete con.

10. Johnik

Johnik Member

many moons ago (mid 70,s)with my shiney new wife, we were looking at getting new windows for our first house, usual suspects came round and quoted £7000, i pointed out we only paid £13000 for the whole house :rolleyes: so not much has changed.

Resmond likes this.
  11. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

2 patio doors and a French door, 1st window fitting company - £9k, 2nd window fitting company - £7.5k using a door they already had tweaked to fit, both U values somewhere around 1980.

Ordered online, £3k for doors and £500 for two joiners to fit, up to date U values and visibly superior quality of frame.

12. FlyByNight

Who did you order from ? I have 6 windows to do and not looking forward to the "negotiations" and carp that goues with it.

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sad to say after I was made redundant I worked for one of the big ones as a salesman, product was OK but I just could not stand the pressure you were expected to put customers under.
    Selling credit was the main target, to people who really would struggle to pay it.
    Packed it in after less than a month!:(
    A good learning exercise though!

14. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

AWM - https://www.awmwindowsanddoors.co.uk/

Only used them the once but it was a pleasure, all done online then someone phones you, that was the easy bit, finding a joiner to fit them was the hard bit.

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Don’t go near any of the large companies, phone a couple of local window fitters for a supply and fit quote, thousands cheaper.

gadget man and Muzungu like this.
  16. FlyByNight

Thanks

17. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I think the same thing is about to happen with green energy heating, had some quotes recently that are transparently jacked up.

18. fourtytwo

fourtytwo Member

We recently had 5 local companies quote, you have to go through the T&C's with a fine tooth comb!! One of the buggers expected 80% deposit before fitting and the balance on SUBSTANTIAL COMPLETION whatever that means and payment was expected IMMEDIATELY the invoice was presented, needless to say they lost out. Another claimed the reason for there high price was there windows were A+ when according to the BFRC website they were A! IMOP they are all out to screw the customer it's just a case of working out wich one will screw you less.........

teabreak likes this.
  19. anthony.baxter

anthony.baxter New Member

The practice of quoting an initially high price and then dramatically reducing it is a common strategy employed by many companies in various industries. It creates a sense of urgency and the perception that you are getting a great deal, even though the original price was likely inflated. The "help to buy" scheme mentioned is probably a marketing term they've come up with to make the offer sound more appealing, but it's not an official government program.

The story about a canceled job in your area and the team sitting idle is a classic sales pitch aimed at pressuring you into making a quick decision. By presenting the situation as an opportunity for you to get a discounted price, they hope to close the deal before you have a chance to research other options or consider alternatives.

It's understandable that you feel frustrated with these tactics and the fact that some people may fall for them. It's important to stay vigilant and do your due diligence when considering any major home improvement projects. Gathering multiple quotes from different companies, including local ones that have a reputation for transparency, is a good approach to ensure you are making an informed decision.

20. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Any chance that people who train staff at likes of Currys could do a swap with the door to door types. Result, something of a normal service that may approach what John Lewis used to be ! On car dealers, we seem to have a split too, those that totally ignore you while others try convince you that the deal they will give you might get them fired. No wonder Amazon is doing so well !