Are Bolt Down Post holders for fence ok?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by SrD123, Jun 29, 2021.

1. SrD123

SrD123 Member

Hi,

I'm building a slatted fence that is going to be around 2m high from the ground and 1.5m high off the top of a wall. As I want the fence to be flush with the wall I am using 75x75 bolt down fence post holders on the wall and 100x100 bolt down on the small wall at ground level.

I was just reading a post where someone was saying that they wouldn't use the post holders for anything higher than 1m but I checked with the place where I bought these and they said that they would be fine for 2m high.

My intention is to also have a 2x4 rail running along the top and between each of the posts so that I can have an additional vertical support to attach the slats to.

Anyone got any experience using these?

many thanks

Attached Files:

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

The bolt-down holders are really for solid concrete etc.
    With a wall you will only be bolting to the top brick/block, and as it's only secured by a layer of mortar, not very strong.
    I think you really need a metal brace or similar that bolts right down the side of the wall.

3. SrD123

SrD123 Member

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Do you mean a brace that I can put down the post and attach to the wall while it's in the boot?

Would you be able to give me a link so I can get an idea of how this would work?

Many thanks

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I would agree I think the render would crack the first sign of a breeze then the fence would rip the top course off.
    Could you bolt a long post the the outside of the wall all the way to the ground then add in packers above the wall level to bring a short post into the correct position?

5. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

A bracket like this will be a bit stronger, but as you suggest, a brace as well as your original proposal would be better. You could use another fence post, but angle iron or similar might be more discreet.

[​IMG]

6. SrD123

SrD123 Member

I could put a long post down the back but the boards I'm putting on are only 25mm think so I would need to pack it out 415mm.

The other problem I have is that the first post on left is on top of a small retaining wall too. The garden is such a weird shape that this is really the only place I can put it.

7. SrD123

SrD123 Member