Are new combi boilers Quiet ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Countryside, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Countryside

Countryside Member

Please could a plumber on here advise the quietness of a new boiler I live in a small bungalow it has 2 bedrooms and one bathroom with walk in electric shower no bath the boiler is 25 years old it’s an ideal linked to a water cylinder in the airing Cubard in the bathroom I’m wanting a new boiler installed this summer as the noises it’s making I think it’s on its last legs ! I’ve had 2 quotes from local plumbers one wanted to put a Worcester R1 in place of the ideal in the kitchen cubard or a Baxi both 15 kw both keeping the water cylinder ! Another plumber wanted to put a Worcester combi green star 4000 in the airing cubard and take out the water cylinder ! This to me sounded better as I don’t need the water cylinder as have no bath to fill etc and I live on my own . The problem is the airing cubard is just 4 feet from where I sit in the lounge would I hear it going ? The kitchen boiler would be 10 feet away near the kitchen window ? Surely to keep the water cylinder is not as efficient as a combi boiler ? Quotes were £1650 for the baxi 15kw fitted with flu and 5 year warranty £1850 for the Worcester R1 15 kw fitted and £2100 for the Worcester 4000 combi fitted . Any advice be most welcome thankyou

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

These are my own views and others may disagree.

1. Noise, quality end boilers like WB, Vaillant are quieter than the cheaper end and sone claim noise as low as 46db but all this is subjective to the individual hearing, general ambient noise and the placement of the boiler. So all considered further away you can place it the better.

2. Combi vs system. Again my views. IMHO, I prefer system boiler with a separate hot water cylinder. Combis in my opinion have more to go wrong. The diverter valve, flow switch and the extra heat exchanger that are not present in a system boiler. Where space is at a premium, like flats, then a combi makes perfect sense but since you already have space why not use it. Agreed that a system boiler in say a S plan system requires 2 x two port valve and a bypass valve but these are a lot more reliable than the extra parts in a combi.

3. Agreed that a hot water cylinder is not as efficient as heating just what’s required but with modern insulation the difference is not huge. Plus an immersion heater in the cylinder gives you redundancy if the boiler fails for any reason.

4. Plumbers like fitting combis as it’s less work ! No extra piping to cylinders, the cylinder itself, no extra valves etc. it’s all in one box.

I myself have a system like the one described but other members of my family have combis mainly because of the space considerations, namely nowhere to place a cylinder/tank.

3. Countryside

Countryside Member

But surely my cylinder tank at 25 years old would need replacing soon ? The plumber said it needs a new pump

4. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Combi every time....

Not sure which make / model is quietest though..

5. Countryside

Countryside Member

Worcester Bosch claim just 43 DB for the Greenstar 2000 combi 25 kw ?

6. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

43db under ideal conditions, measured likely from 1 meter distance. Much of the noise people finding irritating are often from resonance of surrounding material (like cabinets surrounding the boiler), vibrating pipes usually insufficiently clipped), expansion and contractions. Fan noises can also add.

as I said before most quality boilers are generally quiet enough and even the economy end like vokera are not too bad these days.

7. Countryside

Countryside Member

What do you think of Baxi system boilers ? A very quiet one at 33 DB think it’s the 400 ? Are Baxi a good reliable brand ?

8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Baxi IMHO are perfectly OK, but I have no data on their reliability. But this is like asking a range of people what their fav ice cream flavour, sports person or car is. You will get a dozen answers. Every plumber and gas fitter has their favourite, driven by their own experience of fitting, ease of repair, manufacturers support etc. no doubt your own plumber has his or her opinion. Which magazine tests appliances but often I am surprised at their Best Buy.

Every car I though was a good buy and bought got the thumbs down from Jeremy Clarkson and he claims expertise in motoring journalism but for me have served extremely well !

9. Countryside

Countryside Member

Yes I see no Baxi boiler is a which Best Buy but the Worcester Bosch boiler are all best buys

10. Countryside

Countryside Member

How can heating a tank of water be efficient for one person ? Be ok for a bath but I have new electric shower !

rogerk101 likes this.
  11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

For one person a combi is by far the best/cheapest to run. Even with insulation, you're still keeping a tank of hot water hot to have instant hot water available. As others have said, there is no backup immersion, no warm airing cupboard, but good quality combis are very reliable. Also very quiet. Don't skimp on the install - make sure your plumber ensures all the existing pipework, valves etc are fully serviceable. A combi works on a pressurised heating circuit but a standard boiler with tank doesn't - the heating circuit can top-up from the small header. It is possible a small weep on a radiator can go unnoticed and will dry as it weeps. If this is used with a combi you will get a continual pressure drop. Yes combi's are more complex, but FWIW we've had 2 worcester combi's in 2 houses over the last 15 years with no issues.

12. Countryside

Countryside Member

Many thanks for your reply yes 3 relatives have Worcester combi 15 years no issues serviced every year quiet as a mouse

13. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Eeeek

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

???

15. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Good point you make on noting leaks through drop in pressure. But You can have a regular boiler running a pressurised system too with no header tank.

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I know but as this is 25 years old I guess not......:):)

17. Countryside

Countryside Member

Yes boiler and tank and pump 25 years old

18. Countryside

Countryside Member

25 years a good age ?