Are Recticel insulation panels OK?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Boyyo, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Boyyo

Boyyo Member

Hi

TP are offering me Recticel panels instesd of Celotex or Kingspan....is it the same stuff or should I look further?

It's for flooring.
    Cheers.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

They are absolutely fine.

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Member

Its all the same stuff - PIR (polyisocyanurate) insulation.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Member

Depending on how much you need, would be worth looking online as it can be cheaper to order online and pay a hefty delivery charge than buy from the rip off builder merchants. Availability might also be an issue - it certainly was due to a shortage of the raw materials used to make it, not sure now. Wickes were doing a good deal too.

5. Boyyo

Boyyo Member

Cheers Gents,

Another question...I'm looking to build up a floor level through a combination of insulation and UFH, all on top an exiting suspended wooden floor (vented) with good T&G planks. I'm going to lay and tape the 70mm Recticel down first, then put 18mm T&G Chipboard glued....then screw down these two layers into the existing floor. Will this be OK?

Or, am I asking for trouble because i've broken the foil barrier in the insulation?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Don't screw it down, leave it as a floating floor, PVA glue the tongues and fix the skirting solidly to hold it down.

7. Boyyo

Boyyo Member

Thanks.

Other rooms are going to have 70mm insulation and then UFH slabs (routed polysyrene) laid between joists. The thoughT was to batten the bottom of the joists, and lay in the 70mm Recticel....but obviously the Recticel will be sitting low in the joists meaning i cant tape the insulation panels to each other to create the normal barrier.

I was going to tape the Recticel to the sides of the joists and then lay the UFH slabs on top...is there a better way?

8. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something or misinterpret, fit the recital flush with the tops of the joists?

9. Boyyo

Boyyo Member

i Probably didn't explain well enough.

The UFH slabs and pipe needs to sit between and be flush to the top of the joists, then I'm laying a structural floor direct to the joists which will contact the UFH system.
    I'm looking to put 70mm Recticel under the UFH, so the slabs will be between and at the bottom of the joists meaning I cant really tape them to eachother.

I was just going to tape across the face of the slabs and up the side of the joists to at least seal any gaps between the slab and the joists.

10. Hmmmm. I thought that you needed air to at least 50% of the joist from underneath in order to keep it dry.

11. Boyyo

Boyyo Member

I'm pretty sure that's not correct as it's standard practice to lay 100mm insulation between joists and most are 100mm in older dwellings