Are Screwfix making the same mistake as Wickes made?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by JASON BUXBAUM, Jul 9, 2019.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

That's a good point about returns. If you've bought the wrong thing, it doesn't fit, the client changes their mind or you weren't sure which one would fit anyway so you bought both - you can take the rejected/unused item back - and we do, because we're in Screwfix a lot so it sits on the seat of the van for the next visit.
    Nobody (or almost nobody) is going to bother to do this with something that's been delivered so those additional return handling costs are absorbed by Screwfix and almost nonexistent for the online suppliers.

JASON BUXBAUM likes this.
  2. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Yep, I have a pile of stuff that I have bought online that for one reason or another isn't being used and not worth returning. To be fair one of the best things with SF is the almost no-quibble guarantee. The only thing on the returns / warranty is that you can't easily search back to when you bought something e.g. for a 3 year power tool warranty.

3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

I've got all my tool warrenties & receipts printed off & also backed up on a DVD.:)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  4. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Yep and all your spanners and screwdrivers arranged by size in drawers :D

Just thought James May is from Bristol are you him incognito ? ;)

5. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

I don't see how it's a mistake, last time I looked wickes is still going strong

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Profits were down again last year. They group are still struggling with all their brands Wickes, Travis, city plumbing and Tool station etc. They don't seem to have the benefits of scale and integration that they should have

7. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

Not really getting your point sospan, regardless of profit or prices or if you like the staff or not these companies are still here and probably will be for years to come, end of really. If you don't like there prices or the staff or the colour of their logo, go shop somewhere else

8. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

9. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

10. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't understand your posts at all

11. JASON BUXBAUM

JASON BUXBAUM New Member

Well as an example an approximation, wickes got a little silly on prices like screws for example.. you could get 200/300 + screws from screwfix for the price of 40 odd pcs from wickes... like for like

12. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Been in the habit of checking prices before buying. I'm lucky as I have SF and TS on the same industrial site. Now add into the mix people like Selco who also deliver for free.

mcooper2406 and JASON BUXBAUM like this.
  13. JASON BUXBAUM

JASON BUXBAUM New Member

Yes, just started looking at Selco for the first time too... very good prices on items

14. ajohn

ajohn Well-Known Member

LOL It's almost bound to make it worse at some point. Both the trades and the suppliers to them will need to cut prices to get work :cool:[​IMG]

o_O Then comes a tax on everything off Amazon that happens to come from the EU.

John
    -

15. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Active Member

Screwfix are my weekend and out of hours supplier - very convenient for that job you are working on at the weekend but realise you've run out of 2.5 T&E or red rawlplugs, in regular office ours I only use Newey & Eyre who are brilliant (opened my account with them aged 18, 22 long years ago, happy memories, even remember my first purchase, a Bill radette 3 pole isolator and a square D two position key switch!!)

16. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

No chance,yes some are in drawers,but in a total mess,but majority are seldom used & stashed away in Euro boxes,as are a lot of other hand tools.

17. Dave Marques

Dave Marques Member

City Plumbing is up for sale, has been for a while.

18. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

19. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

20. Greentram

Greentram Member

I originally knew City Plumbing as B&G Heating in Stanley Road, Teddington. The boss (Maurice?) often served behind the counter and they also did central heating installs. Brilliant firm to deal with since they virtually always had every last thing in stock.