Are there any acceptable building tolerances versus the Approved Plans?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Barn Builder, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Barn Builder

Barn Builder New Member

How close do you have to be to the Approved Plans, when building something?

Basically I have permission to build a rear extension and a front porch.

The approved plans of the rear extension, as close as I can tell, are 6.1 mtr x 6.3 mtr

The approved plans of the porch, as close as I can tell, are 2.0 mtr x 2.3 mtr

When I come to build this do I have to be spot on?

I am going to do the front porch myself, but get bricklayers to do the rear extension.

For example, does my front porch have to be 2.0 x 2.3 or can it be 2.1 x 2.5 for arguments sake.

I am not trying to build double the size as that would be stupid and would have to get torn down, but I wondered if there were any building tolerances, due to brick sizes etc...(Or pushing your luck a little bit)

Is there any minor leeway allowed in other words?

Thanks,

Bobby

2. ecm

ecm New Member

Plans should always be to modular sizes. A few mm here and there isn't going to upset anyone.

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Fitting flooring in new builds i have found the house plans the buyers get are miles away from the sizes given.
    More inches than mm.
    Weather these plans have the same sizes as the builder uses i don't know.
    I give only guestimates off plans and always go and measure up myself.
    The biggest difference i have seen is one new build customer who bought a house only to be told there was a problem which meant he couldn't have the bay window in his lounge and main bedroom :) nice one!!!!!!

4. Ÿ

Ÿ New Member

For example, does my front porch have to be 2.0 x 2.3 or can it be 2.1 x 2.5 for arguments sake.

That's 14% bigger than approved. The council could make you take that down. Why push your luck like this? If you wanted the larger sizes then why not apply for the larger sizes?

5. Blimey.

Blimey. New Member

....So how much does this planing permission that I've herd about cost then?

6. ÜÜ

ÜÜ New Member

It all depends how near you live to an airfield.

7. Nickam

Nickam New Member

25mm would be an acceptable discrepancy from the dimensions as stated on the plans. You say 'as close as I can tell', don't the plans have the dimensions on them?