Are there any Brexit party supporters on here?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chippie244, May 17, 2019.

?

Do you think Farage is a charlatan?

Poll closed Monday at 11:56 PM.
  1. Of course.

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No, I'm an idiot

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

2. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Even if true, to go far in politics requires constant funding.
    I doubt if there are any reasonably successful U.K. politicians or parties that have achieved it on a shoe string budget.
    To me, the money each party has is irrelevant and half a million will not go far, so not a serious amount to cover costs.

I would think many who vote for the Brexit Party, or other Brexit supporting parties, will do so as a protest vote.

3. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

charlatan
    /ˈʃɑːlət(ə)n/

noun
    1. a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill.
      "a self-confessed con artist and charlatan"
      synonyms: quack, mountebank, sham, fraud, fake, humbug, impostor, pretender, masquerader, hoodwinker, hoaxer, cheat, deceiver, dissembler, double-dealer, double-crosser, trickster, confidence trickster, cheater, swindler, fraudster, racketeer;

Doesn’t the above describe many politicians? :rolleyes:
      Tony, Teresa, Jeremy,

retiredsparks and dobbie like this.
  4. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

Not really surprised at the number of people who are taken in by this man; he is articulate, which is superficially impressive if you ignore the content. I saw the Channel 4 report but there is already enough information in the public domain to show how deep he has had his nose in the trough of public service money for years. His tenure in the EU has provided him with a very healthy income and future pension and he has not been slow in taking advantage of this at every opportunity, paying his wife on expenses (while within the rules) as one example. Deeply ironic that he was himself investigated for his expenses claims by the EU and had to repay a significant (to most people) amount. He may well be right in critiquing waste in the EU, but to then take advantage of that shows the character of the man.

That he is now crawling to the American Trump demographic, the epitome of uncaring capitalist nationalism, is hardly unsurprising. You may be able to tell I am not an enthusiast.

5. dinkydo

dinkydo Active Member

Baxi Boy, gadget man and dobbie like this.
  6. chippie244

What does Banks expect to get back as a result of his largesse?

7. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

Exactly, this is a bit of a puzzle. Those of a conspiratorial bent might look to where the advantage might be in, perhaps, his business interests in Russia. It is no secret that the Russian state takes some glee in any problems in Europe; one only has to watch the chauvinistic outpourings from RT to confirm that. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the NCA investigation into the funding sources. It may be that it was Bank's own money and that begs the question you asked, why; out of the goodness of his heart and in a quest for truth and justice?

8. ajohn

ajohn Active Member

Really the people who want out should be far more aware of the people who are behind it and wonder why they want out. Some pundits have looked into why people voted that way and concluded that often nationalism comes into it and also a protest vote. All together this suggest that asking again in a straight forwards fashion wont happen

Then comes all of the shouting about various form of media interfering with democracy. There is no doubt it did in this case but why was EU not defended as well as it could have been. We have had years of EU this and that off the news some of which is complete and utter rubbish one way or another. Bad news is what news programs want. No point in mentioning for instance that the EU funded a lot of road building in Wales to help open the place up more. Also similar in a number of places. Most of that sort of thing usually goes to London and has done for years. Cardiff now gets an unfair share - that's capital cities and politicians for you.

LOL Waste of time mentioning it all really. Load of Nero's in Westminster fiddling while the UK is burning and if some one wants to know what Farage is about dig out his opening speech at the EU. Also wonder why Trump welcomes him with open arms. Beijing probably would too.

Trade deals are all about one country gaining something over the other. Lets say you represent 300million people. That is an advantage over representing say 65million. 65 isn't bad but not good either. Other question is what can a country sell to them, they may already make all they need and may have lower labour rates and other advantages. Last time I heard the UK was getting nowhere negotiating with the countries we already trade with via the EU.

;) I do watch RT now and again. Sometimes things crop up that wont be broadcast anywhere else. Like any news channel there is a need to consider what is being said and why. Take current 5g rumblings. Why give business to a country that was hacking politicians phones. Why should China be any different. Older people may of heard that the UK is a bit of a USA puppet, basically so we don't have too many problems with the IMF etc and the business presence that has been here and often now has gone but they still take over our companies. China is up to that now as is India both having much larger populations than ours. The USA wont be happy about them either - competes and betters their own,

I watch the Asian one as well now and again as well. One interesting thing is that they seem to tend to give flatter news coverages than others, no axe to grind in many ways. Also showing what's been going on in Dublin while we burn. Lucky to catch that, just happened to be on. Rather not know really.

John
    -

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

Farage is a most disagreeable character, however, he will get my vote for 2 reasons.
    1/ This will not give him power in Parliament and he will be as a Turkey voting for Christmas, ie he will self destruct on completion.
    2/ 'Completion' means that his sorry band will move on the Brexit fiasco and we will leave the EU. He and his compatriots will then be out of a job.
    Only at this point will the fractured parties in parliament come together to make a real go of the next stage.

10. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

One wonders, or maybe one does not, whether he will out of principle forgo any of the rather generous EU pension he will be entitled to. The EU is, as he has made clear, a gravy train for those on its payroll. I have just had a look at their candidate list, the Brexit party, and it makes for sorry reading.

11. longboat

longboat Well-Known Member

If what the peeps at channel 4 claim to be true, is.
    Who gives a damn?
    Im struggling to see what offence, either legal or moral, has actually been committed.
    What is the point of this supposed 'contemptuous' revelation?

Heat likes this.
  12. chippie244

13. chippie244

What a suprise, more phone calls from the troll.

14. ajohn

ajohn Active Member

Privatisation has worked wonderfully well with all sort of things hasn't it ???????????????????? Another problem is that there isn't any real competition in some areas so it's a mockery. There isn't much competition in any area really. All keep an eye on other companies prices, Anyone crops up who rocks the boat gets bought up.

NHS interesting. A lot of tax revenue comes from the financial sector. A politicians minder told me recently that some of that area, banks mentioned have already left. They have already stated very firmly that they must be able to trade in Europe ie the EU. :oops: Interesting thought say the tax revenue dropped by rather a lot, well some would be made up by not sending some to the EU. It would be interesting to compare how much that is compared with the total government spend. Perhaps it doesn't sound so much then. It's about £840 billion a year. EU had £13 billion with £4 billion coming back. The tax take from the financial sector is reckoned to be 11%. :rolleyes: Strangely similar numbers, not all that much difference really and no £4 billion coming back. I doubt if London sees much of that.

Personalities. One of the Brexit pundits who always reminds me of priests, the more pontificating type, he has exactly the right tone of voidce, owns a financial company. He is reckoned to have made several million by betting against the pound. He's also been know to mention that we defeated Hitler totally neglecting help from the USA and way way more than most people are aware of from Russia.

Borris, well Murdoch thinks he's wonderful. Wonder why. ;) His brother probably knows him well and seems to have different views.

And oh yes we still do have a ruling class. The schools they tend to go to cost a lot of money for the people who send them there. It would cost a lot more if the schools didn't have tax advantages. The rich tend to have that anyway - stuff it away in all sorts of things and places.

John
    -

15. longboat

The short 'quote mine' presented by the Guardian doesn't take what he was saying into context.
    In no way does he [Farage] say that the NHS should be "dismantled" and replaced by an insurance based system.
    But, even if it did, what would be immoral about that?
    The rest of the world manages quite well on a hybrid health care approach, and in many countries it is deemed to be more effective than our (seemingly) state funded affair.
    The question of moral integrity should be squarely placed on the doorstep of those whom have chosen to throw the political football, that is the NHS, into Farage's side of the court.

16. chippie244

Who radicalised you?

17. chippie244

And the phone goes again, it's either longboat or someone is tring to stitch him up.

18. longboat

Your bombardment of factually based replies is making me wet myself, chip's.
    Do stop.

Esined likes this.
  19. longboat

And who on here could possibly sink to such overzealous depravity?
    My wagging finger is pointing directly at the instigator.
    Get a life, man.

Esined likes this.
  20. chippie244

Weird, I'm reading this and hearing you on my mobile at the same time.