Are there any building regs cover this?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by busy builder, Jun 9, 2010.

  1. busy builder

    busy builder New Member

    I have been asked to remove a glass canopy over the front of a small high street hotel in my village. The hotel is grade 2 listed.Some of the timbers are rotten and full of woodworm and some glass panes are cracked.

    The canopy is about 8m long and 2.5m wide (protruding from building) over the entrance, looks like a lean to supported on cast iron posts. There are bedroom windows overlooking above this canopy

    The glass is Georgian wired 8mm supported on 4x2 timbers, with lead cappings at the joints. Can I replace with the same as fitted or can I use polycarbonate twin/triple wall for safety?

    Do I need to consult BC ?
  2. busy builder

    busy builder New Member

    Sorry should read...remove and replace canopy...
  3. chippie244

    chippie244 Super Member

    Not sure about BC more likely English Heritage. Grade 2 listing means the exterior can't be changed so probably like for like. I'm no expert though.
  4. big all

    big all Screwfix Select

    i think you will find you cannot materialy change the appearence!!

    best ask your conservation officer for the definitive answer

    big all
  5. You will need permission before starting work on this - start with your local BCO
  6. ian anderson

    ian anderson New Member

    Yup. Grade II means that you lose 'permitted development' rights.

    But thats fine, building control/conservation guys are all too happy that people are spending money on upkeeping these old places that they are entirely reasonable, at least that is what I have always found.

    Like the other posters say, give BCO/conservation a call and drag someone away from their desk on a sunny day, they'll be delighted to catch some fresh air!

    E. Heritage won't be involved at this stage.
  7. hallbeck

    hallbeck New Member

    Good grief Ian - i have rather different experience of conservation officer than you!

    I have found that whilst they happily turn their backs on listed building owners who allow their building to decay and fall down (in itself an offence) - they jump all over the people who try and repair them.

    Having said that - they aren't entirely unreasonable and, if they are, i have found that saying you are going to do what you want and you wish them luck in stopping you - tends to work rather well! Obviously don't use this approach if you want to put a plastic conservatory on a listed building - but i did use it when a CO tried to get me to re-open an abandoned quarry to get matching stone!
  8. busy builder

    busy builder New Member

    Thanks for the helpful replies, I forgot to mention I'm up in the Scottish Highlands so will try local BC office to see what they say.

    Its not a big problem to replace 'as is' but owner wants plastic instead of glass, but he'll accept glass, if ordered to.
  9. hallbeck

    hallbeck New Member

    Don't ask the BCO - its a planning issue not building regs.

    Call the planners and they will point you in the right direction.

    Basically listed building requirement come above building reg requirments. So it doesn't really matter what your BCO says!

    I suspect you will have to use glass - its all about the reflection apparently! Thats why you can't have double glazing in most listed buildings.
  10. JLK89

    JLK89 New Member

    You are not allowed to change anything internaly or externaly on grade to, you are allowed like for like changes but are not allowed change for something different unless you have permission, if it makes sense
  11. ian anderson

    ian anderson New Member

    sorry Hallbeck, my mistake, our guys are all in the same offices up here!

    My conservation guy would agree with the previous poster, when he admitted that they didn't have any money to 'fight' any legal action.

    Probably why they were so please that the fine Queen Anne house we worked on had a new millionaire owner willing to shell out our wages/costs for a couple of years;-)
  12. Most definitely B.C. for all points. The 'Building' is listed and the same must go back unless you can show (to the B.C. and the council) that your 'proposed modification' is an improvement within the listing. B.C. is your friend and is always happy to help.
  13. hallbeck

    hallbeck New Member

    Most definately NOT Building Control! Good grief - listed buildings are the responsibility of the Conservation Officer, who works with the planners NOT WITH BUILDING CONTROL.

    Your building inspector will not care one jot about whether an change affects the character of the building - its not his job. The CO however will most certainly have a view on this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice