Are there any LED/PIR floodlights that last???

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mitch the Monkey, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Mitch the Monkey

Mitch the Monkey New Member

A year or so ago I replaced an old halogen security light with an LAP LED unit from Screwfix. This lasted 2 months before it started flashing on & off & the sensor was full of water. Screwfix exchanged it with no hassle, the replacement was fine for one week then it started glowing all the time. Screwfix happily swapped the second failed LAP unit for a 20w Brackenheath which looked to be much better quality, but 10 months on this unit has now failed.
    I can't fault SF's returns policy, but how do professional electricians manage if this cheap rubbish is all that is now available? Does anyone make or sell LED security lights that last longer than a few months?

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

LAP. You get what you pay for.
    I fit Luceco LED lights also available from SF

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  3. tinkerbell60

tinkerbell60 New Member

If you want a flood light that last then I would use time guard. not available from SF and not cheap

4. quasar9

quasar9 Active Member

The problem is always the PIR, especially with models where the PIR sensor is in a block hanging below the main body. Get ones where the sensor in integrated in the main body, and the whole unit has a proper round gasket.

5. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Active Member

I fitted 2 Luceco 50w LED security lights about 3 years ago with no issues. Very heavy and solid, no PIR issues, although they are slightly sheltered.

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Steinel probably best out there but expensive, ledvance are decent quality, lap is a pile of dog sh yte

7. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Active Member

As above for Steinel with a a separate flood, never any hassle

8. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

I use Ledvance from Oaram, decent and no failures yet

9. jay123

jay123 Member

Always use a seperate PIR

10. Mitch the Monkey

Mitch the Monkey New Member

Thanks guys, exactly the information I was looking for! Steniel looks excellent but a bit too pricy for me, so I've ordered a Timeguard unit. A few minutes on Google shows Timeguard products are manufactured in Germany by a long-established company with a reputation for quality, so I'm happy to buy this brand.

I'm getting properly fed up with shoddy goods from the far east taking over every aspect of modern life, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find anything else now price is the most important factor. It'll only get worse when we leave the EU on 01 Jan with no deal and get hit by trade tariffs on goods from Europe.

Rant over......

Thanks again

Mitch

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM
  11. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

Pir always failing I've always installed titan pirs yet to see one suffer a failure in such a short space of time just can be a pig to fit (one entry but needs a loop in loop out live and neutral so I cheat fit 5 core terminate earth in Pir housing flag extra neutral and switch live at each end connect 5 core to supply and light feed cables in an outdoor junction box job done)