Are these lights safe?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by LukeSkypeWalker, Dec 15, 2020.

1. LukeSkypeWalker

LukeSkypeWalker New Member

A friend picked these lights up and asked for a hand putting them up, but unless I’m missing something obvious there is no earth and it’s a metal casing, is this a big no no leave well alone?

Attached Files:

2. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

Looks like it has double insulated symbol on it.
    Does it have this on it.

Attached Files:

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is there a double insulated sign on the label ? Square box within a square box symbol ? If there is that would indicate that it was originally a class 2 and did not require an earth connection.
    Having said that ,it looks second hand and the terminal block isn't as it was originally ,so it's class rating is now compromised and questionable.
    I wouldn't fit them if I were you ,unless a qualified electrician can confirm.
    That terminal block could easily result in the metal housing becoming live.

4. LukeSkypeWalker

Yes there is! Thank you!

5. LukeSkypeWalker

Yes it’s double insulated! If I swap out the block for a couple of wagos do you think that will be an acceptable solution? Thanks!

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

No. That wouldn't make it double insulated.

7. LukeSkypeWalker

It’s got the double insulated symbol on it, I just suggested the wagos to remove the old connector block that isn’t very well insulated, will this be okay?

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The symbol means nothing ,as it has been altered / meddled with and is not in its original form. By the way is its country of origin visible ? Some of these fittings are from ROC ( China) and their markings are dubious to say the least.
    Minimally ,the single conductors ( brown and blue) should be within an outer sheath ,terminating within an enclosure that holds the terminal block. Not just in a terminal block.

9. Philip Hyde

Don't think it's been Meddled with terminal block looks Orginal but cover is missing that's all. Plenty of fittings like that have no mounting plate for terminal block. Cables look unaltered and CE marked.

10. Philip Hyde

Why not put a bolt with a nut through the mounting back plate and earth it anyway.