Are tradesmen happy to have a written contract?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by igorrubets, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

And you charge both parties for this service?
    Or will you provide it out of the kindness of your heart?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Deleted member 164349 likes this.

2. You try getting a receipt before you have paid for the diesel.

You try getting a receipt from me for work done until you have paid me.

It is a receipt of work done. It is only a contract in that sense. It does not state what should be done and at what price. It says what WAS done for what price.

A contract would detail this before commencing work.

3. igorrubets

igorrubets New Member

It will be £5/per active user/per month.

Our aim is to help both homeowners and tradesmen by developing tools that you need and create a great community to help each other. For tradesmen we want to bring more leads. Protection for both parties is important for us.

4. All fair point. But going back to this oap, do you think it is right for me to say, you have to sign this bit of paper before I change your bulbs?

You don't think alarm bells will ring? They should for a job like that. No way would I make her sign it and then do the job. I would leave her a copy of what she has signed and return when she has consulted with family or others.

But then I have travelled twice, spent extra time and left her in the dark even longer. The bill becomes a lot more, but obviously it is fairer to both and correct.

Some jobs are not worth that.

If I was doing a bigger job, then yes of course that is the right way.

But not every job needs such a formal approach. Especially if it is somebody I have done work for before.

Jord86 likes this.

5. You are right, I wouldn't trust them, and I doubt they would trust me.

So I would walk away. Or do the job on a verbal agreement, then give a proper receipt.

6. igorrubets

igorrubets New Member

But what if your contract is already prepared when you arrive at the property?

A client requested a job online, so you have a description and its other details, so you just need to put the cost and attach your other terms that are already written. A client accepts with a click, you start a job.

7. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

And how will you vet your registered trades to make sure they aren’t rogue traders, what your proposing is no different to any other site of this nature, it’s a way for you to make money while sitting at home the only difference will be you charge both parties.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.

8. Not worth it to me.

For small jobs, verbal agreement is king.

For larger jobs most traders will have a standard set of terms to give out.

For major jobs the contract and spec is a major part of the quotation stage and needs detailed specific input, probably from both sides.

If a customer presented me with a contract, I wouldn't accept the job. The only exception being when I work for regular landlords and I have a specific contract from them in place, which covers immediate call out work too. But I price that dearer to cover it.

Good luck, but I don't see many genuine traders will be interested.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018

9. I wouldn't even accept the job. An online quote before understanding the pitfalls? No thanks.

10. Agree.

Any genuine trader will have their own systems in place.

He is looking for the rogue traders.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018
  11. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

If you charge me for a service , I’ll pass the cost onto the customer however coz they’ve paid then they’ll want to Payless the only person who wins is you how does that benefit me or the customer?

12. igorrubets

igorrubets New Member

You would pay £5 each month for the service for any number of leads. How are you not winning? You may have 30 leads in one month that you convert (or more), so it would cost you £5/30 = £0.17 pence per client. Our mission is to create a trustworthy community, hence there will be some barriers for rogue tradesmen, so that they play fair.

13. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Oh that’s makes it sound so much better, how have reputable traders lasted so long without you, you’d better sign me up for a lifetime subscription

14. So you are not just a site agreeing contracts?

You want to provide leads for work?

What are these barriers for rogue tradesmen? How do you know a rogue from a genuine?

What is the difference between you and any other site? None, just another expense.

Your question on here should be, how many traders need to use a service to find leads for work?

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ah, now we get down to the nitty gritty. I'm afraid this has been discussed at length many times before, and the answer is always the same. Forget about it, it's not possible to do accurately and fairly to all parties, lots of anomalies and difficult things to give a price on. Not only that, why do you think you can interfere between customer and trader, you say you want to create a trustworthy community, perhaps you genuinely do, but ultimately you're out to line your own pockets first.

You won't be doing anything different from the other middlemen out there, these companies are ten a penny, its impossible to vet the competency of the builders on their site, the site doesn't care about the job outcome, and if a problem does arise they wash their hands of any responsibility, whilst avoiding putting up their contact details so they can't be contacted by disgruntled trades or homeowners.

Find a new avenue to earn money, not off the backs of others.

longboat likes this.
  16. igorrubets

igorrubets New Member

I guess the question should have been what you get for those £5 a month.
    Thank you Jord86 for your thoughts and advice.

How would you judge the competency of the trader? For me, it is quality, professionalism and durability (that's what a trader should be judged on), but you can't do that on the other sites based just on the reviews from as people have different expectations, hence there should be a different approach.

Re: preparation of the contract
    To clarify what I said - "a client requested a job online, so you have a description and its other details, so you just need to put the cost and attach your other terms that are already written. A client accepts with a click, you start a job." - following trader in-person estimate and inspection, the cost and adjusted job description can be edited on site (so a trader doesn't have to leave and come back later), so the client can accept it on the spot there and then, and a trader can start a job. So creating a contract takes seconds as it will be pre-written and ready for a trader. There will be many more other useful tools for you, not just contract handling.

Also we are not interfering with anything, as you are talking to the client directly as you do right now. We are only developing tools to help traders and customers to do thing quicker, easier and with full protection, so if a problem arises it can be fixed. We will have contact details online, in fact we will be there connected to projects, ready to step in if needed via build-in comms.

17. igorrubets

igorrubets New Member

To clarify what I said - "a client requested a job online, so you have a description and its other details, so you just need to put the cost and attach your other terms that are already written. A client accepts with a click, you start a job." - following trader in-person estimate and inspection, the cost and adjusted job description can be edited on site (so a trader doesn't have to leave and come back later), so the client can accept it on the spot there and then, and a trader can start a job. So creating a contract takes seconds as it will be pre-written and ready for a trader. There will be many more other useful tools for you, not just contract handling.

18. You are missing my point.

I don't and wouldn't use a site to find leads. I doubt if many on here do.

An established trader using a site to find work doesn't sound likely.

And contract handling. Established traders have their terms and systems in place anyway

19. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

So if there’s a problem with the contract that was missed by both the trader and customer you’d accept responsibility? And liability? How do you take into account different traders or customers needs and terms ?
    Every job is different, the only bit of a contract that stays the same is how long the customer has to pay and the traders name and address other than that what the job entails, how long it takes, it all changes according to the job

20. igorrubets

igorrubets New Member

Totally agree. There are great traders that have so much work that they don't have enough time to finish those. They are in demand. Leads won't work for them, but other features will. Our tools will help you manage your current and new clients, build your professional profile, engage with other traders and etc.