armoured/bnc cctv/data cable outdoor run question

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bobby86, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Bobby86

Bobby86 New Member

I have armoured cable running underground to my workshop (not filled in yet) and the walls and ceiling not boarded yet either. I just bought a swann SWDVK-846804-EU 4 camera system. Im going to put one camera up on the soffit of the cannopy at the front. My question is can the cctv cable for one of the cameras be buried under ground or will it need conduit. If it needs conduit then what counduit would you reccomend. The cable is BNC type. Or should I be buying a more quality cable for this one cameras needs.

Also I wanted to lay a cat 6 or 5 (undecided still) cable into the workshop too but it would be buried next to the electric armoured cable. Ive been told you shouldnt lay it directly next to electric cable and if so to use conduit. Is this true?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks upload_2021-12-30_7-59-7.gif upload_2021-12-30_7-59-7.gif

2. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

I would pu them in a duct so they can be upgraded in the future. If you are worried about the cat5/6 use FTP

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

For the data cables could use a coil of black 20mm MDPE water pipe, suck a draw string through with a vacuum cleaner then pull through the cables, advantage being can push it straight in to a PVC conduit box at each end so quite subtle and also very cheap.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Also, if the Swann system is still in the return window, maybe consider an IP CCTV system as this would avoid the need for the BNC/Coax, just run a couple of Cat6 (one as a spare) into a small PoE switch in the workshop for distribution in there to WiFi AP, CCTV camera, and any fixed outlets.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  6. JohnMorgan10

JohnMorgan10 New Member

You only really need a nice solid piece of drain pipe to run the cables through. You’ll tank yourself later as you can add cables or replace it. Top tip, run a piece of solid string through it and leave it in place - makes it easier to run extra cables or remove a broken one in the future.

Even a bit of white waste pipe like this would do fine https://www.wickes.co.uk/John-Guest-Speedfit-Plastic-Pipe---15mm-x-3m/p/117407 I’m sure screwfix would sell similar too.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021