As a self employed decorator how much per day do you earn?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Nov 28, 2020.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I am an apprentice trained city and guilds painter and decorator. I worked for various companies over 30 years and 10 years ago I went self employed.
    I do mainly private work, bedroom here, kitchens , front rooms etc.
    I basically earn a wage.
    I price at £120 a day £600 a week.
    I graft all day, dont stop for lunch eat at work.
    Some days I have an easier day and leave a hour earlier.
    I get fed up with not making a fortune as other trades seem to do.
    So I earn a wage and if I have holiday, sickness or van trouble my £15 a hour get diluted so is it worth it?
    How does anybody else get on?

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

It can depend on the area you live, or possibly work in, but then travel expenses may come into the equation.

Some trades people I know are happy on £120 a day where as others will not bother unless it's more like £200 to £250.
    And then some customers are willing to pay what others aren't or can't afford.
    Some overcharge but customers still pay it...
    I wouldn't feel good overcharging a customer. A fair price for a quality job I believe.

I guess a lot of people will choose to do their own painting especially if they think the quotes are too high but this can apply to other trades also.

You ask 'is it worth it'? but what are your other options????
    If you are happy at work and can afford to live reasonably well then maybe you're not doing too badly...
    Are you happy when the days work is done, and are your customers happy???

And it is definitely am employers market now and for the future as so many people looking for work, including a lot of chancers and / or desperate people.

£15 an hour is not too far off the average wage.

Mancone likes this.
  3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Some jobs I enjoy some are a pain.
    If you take £15 a hour and then deduct the pricing of the job, invoices etc. Most Saturdays are spent sorting materials out, sorting van out, washing rollers brushes out etc I'm not to far off flipping burgers money?
    Do self employed people make a profit? I always thought that what been in "Business" was?

Worse part is pricing for 2 coats and then it not covering and having to repeat everything and I never charge for extra costs.

Tilt likes this.
  4. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Well if you have priced for 2 coats adding a 3rd would be extra?

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If your going to have to pay running costs like van. Insurance. Tools. Accountant and anything else from £120 a day you might as well flip burglars. I'd say £150 min. Roofer I know is £220. Sparks I know is a tad more.

Jord86 and Tilt like this.
  6. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

You need to price in for these ideally.......... things like washing rollers etc should ideally be on the customers time IMO...
    If they complain or seem not too happy with your quote, some customers do need the extra works involved explaining to them, and most of them will be happier with the price once this has been explained, IME.

If you are not happy then up your hourly rate by a quid or two and see if the work still rolls in..... Worth a try maybe.
    Or present your quote differently ie for the job rather than a day rate.

I agree with wayners £150 min nowadays but that is if you still get given the job.

Mancone likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What do you class as a fortune? Based on nothing else you've answered your own question with your statement "I basically earn a wage."

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You'd want better money for flipping burglars mate, think of the danger involved ;)

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'm amazed, can't understand why you ask so many paint and paint finish related questions if you are city and guilds trained with 30 years under your belt :confused:....doesn't make sense to me, not being rude but do you lack confidence in yourself.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Dr Decorator, ginger tuffs and Jord86 like this.
  10. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Firstly, depends on the areas of the country you're working in/around and you'd need to discern what the average daily rate is for decorators there. Where I am in the North West, I would not expect to pay a decorator here less than £160, whereas in other areas it can range from £160 to £280. As you've been working self employed in that field for 10 years, I have to ask why you're asking this on a forum now, surely you would have done your research at the time of starting out as self employed.. and why aren't you having a break? No one works on my premises without having a proper break. I have workers starting on Monday, they come in to breakfast/brew and I provide lunch. If they're working all the way through without stopping their concentration is going to be decreased.

11. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Reason I ask so many questions is I'm confused about the state of paints at the moment
    I find most paint nowadays pretty useless not like the old days..
    Never found a arcylic water based that's any good.
    In the old days you could prime then undercoat something and the final finish coat looked great. Nowadays I can not find a decent satinwood. I have tried most and they all seem to need 2 finish coats.
    To a diyer it's fine another coat but if you've charged for one coat of satinwood and it looks **** and have to give everything another coat due to paint been **** it's bad news.

12. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I quote on how long I think it will take x £120 a day.
    Looking back I dont think I've put my prices up in 5 years so that may be my problem?

13. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Well, at least now you know to quote for two coats, or three or whatever...
    Just explain to the customer that it will need ???? coats.

After 40 years in the trade with 10 of them working for yourself you should have plenty of referees willing to give you glowing reviews, which in turn should allow you to pick your jobs / clients and charge accordingly, ie a good rate that you are happy with....

14. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I'm always busy, this year I've had one week off and worked non stop through the lockdown.
    I normally take 3-4 holidays a year but had nowhere to go this year.
    I get the same customers coming back year after year maybe I'm too cheap and need to put my rates up?

15. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I have worked with other people and find them really slow at working?

So for example a newish built house. Empty room with only bed in there
    How long would you expect it to take in a 4m x 5m bedroom?
    Minimum filling.
    So:
    2 coats of white on ceiling
    2 coats of coloured emulsion on walls
    Undercoat and gloss woodwork which would be door and frame, skirting and window cill?

16. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

As for charging for extra coats I always just do it and bare the cost..maybe I'm to soft?

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I appreciate it depends where in the country you are and it's always about supply and demand but £120 a day before tax is the bare minimum you would expect to earn working on the books for an employer with subsidies such as a vehicle, consumables, holiday and sick pay, pension, the lot. Up your day rate to £150, £180 on weekends then see how many of your existing customers stick with you and how many new ones accept your quote.

In my opinion, unless you supply the paint and it's obviously poor quality (which I doubt very much you would do) an extra coat is certainly a chargeable extra.

koolpc likes this.
  18. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Ok maybe it just me? I did buy some reading glasses and normally wear them when I'm going woodwork or close up work.
    They do make everything a lot bigger and I see imperfections more!

19. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Can't be doing too bad if you normally take 3-4 holidays a year.....

20. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I dont have a mortgage anymore both kids have left home and my wife is a bank manager. So between us we may earn £65 k