As a self employed decorator how much per day do you earn?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Nov 28, 2020.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

And I sell on ebay and I make 10k a year. But the decorating I enjoy but find it hard work

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I could do with tips for selling on eBay......
    If you find it hard work then you need to make it worth your while for you to keep doing it otherwise you'll continue to be a busy fool, no offence. You're in a better position than most of being able to pick and choose your jobs rather than quoting low to 'buy' work because you absolutely have to, you should start capitalising on that. Or go back on the books for someone with 40 hours a week, switch off when you get home, Christmas pay and overtime on weekends type affair.

fff likes this.
  3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I been self employed 21yr it took me 10 year to start making a profit, mainly me being soft with customers like you doing extras for nothing, I'm making it pay now and going to work is worthwhile, I suggest you have a good think about your prices as most customers will take advantage, you really have to start making it pay, it's not to late to alter your prices as customers will still use you, dont be scared to up your prices and if you lose the job then so what their will be others, it may surprise you what people are willing to pay

fff likes this.
  4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

That's the only thing I like about been self employed is not answering to anybody I know I'm too soft with customers

For example this week was decorating a friend of a friends front room.
    I quoted £480
    There were a lot of old telephone cables on the walls she told me all were dead and not used and only used the line coming in underground not the old telephone line coming in from the nearest telegraph post and could I remove them all before I decorated.

So I said are you sure yes dont use them so I pulled off all old cables from the walls.
    Next day shes waiting at door saying her tv and telephone line is not working!
    So I had to reconnect the line in from telegraph pole and run cables to her tv etc.
    She said sorry for wasting my time! So by looks she expects me to do it all for free.
    Plus can you disconnect my alarm system and remove key pad and junction box and all sensors in room? For free?

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I'm a day over already on the job plus she wants the staircase wall papered now instead of emulsioned.
    She asked if it would be anymore? I said I've had to size it and I priced for 2 coats of emulsion so yes I'd knock off a couple of hours for the final coat of emulsion and charge you for the time it takes me to paper it? She looked ****** off!

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

This covers wages for us self employed. I know I'm charging as much as I think I can but probably under what I should. Going to put my day rate up £15 next year plus travel and a few quid profit on what I supply. Not been making enough on that. You should never buy work but its a tight line for many if your no better than other trades in the area. Be the best and you can charge more. 14mins in its a terrible reflection on self employed wages in the UK as he shows the average

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  7. fff

fff Active Member

I’m not a pro but I’ve read this and think you’re definitely too soft. You need to start charging and being fair to yourself. Then you won’t be resentful. It’s very hard to work for yourself for this reason I find. I once laid a vinyl tiled floor for someone who had much more money than me and was used to hiring decorators etc. She just knew I was good at that kind of work and she knew I was nice. When it came to payment she said she wouldn’t be able to pay because she had decorators coming the next day and didn’t know how much they would charge so better not give me anything. Ha. I’d expected to do the job as a favour anyway but I thought that reason was outrageously rude. She had bought me a cheese sandwich for my lunch break which I thought was kind at the time. I’ve tried to be much firmer to people since that. I’m often asked to help out with repairs etc but I only do what I’m willing to do free. I know this story is not really like yours but the bloody telegraph pole situation reminded me of how I felt!
    Take the advice from the pros here and get more assertive with customers.

8. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I'll have a watch of that later..

My rant is over..

I enjoy Ebay, easy money really if you sell the right items.

I sell 2 books I wrote either as a download or on cd disc.
    I must have sold 1000s over the years.
    I also sell pieces of art work I make with led neon lights and sell vinyl art work to stick on your walls which is easy work but everybody who owns a vinyl cutter is doing it so the market is saturated. So you have to be original but then people dont search for something that has never existed...oh well

If anybody wants tips on selling on Ebay or tips on opening up a Royal mail buisness account (total nightmare) which reduces your postage costs and makes selling on ebay more viable and makes it easier to print labels etc with a thermal printer just ask?

9. fff

fff Active Member

I’ve just spent the afternoon looking for neon artwork. If you’re allowed to post a link I’ll look.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  10. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

A lot of my customers are OAPs and I feel sorry for them...I expect most have more money than me? Trouble with them they dont understand cost of things today. I went round to a customer after I'd finished and fitted 2 curtain poles one was a bay window pole she asked how much I wanted I was there 2 hours.
    To be honest I felt a bit sorry for her and I said well I've been here 2 hours whatever? So she said how does £5 seem? Not bad £2.50 a hour

11. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

12. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

13. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Not sure if they will show up as they are ones that sold

14. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Stick to ebay

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They understand, unless they've been shielded away from society for the last fifty years. They all know the cost of things, I don't imagine they have a life threatening shock every week when the shopping bill for bread and milk is ten times what it was in 1970 but strangely enough your time is viewed as comparable to 1970's figures, or when the grandkids come over and leave with twenty quid each for behaving for an hour but your efforts are somehow worth far less. Be firm, but fair.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  16. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

But then a friend did some work for a old couple and he was given a bag of apples for painting their front door! he was a distant relative.

A customer who had an old gent who was a gardener before he retired used to come and cut their front and back lawns and trim their hedge he was there the full morning and asked for £4?

17. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

Interesting thread. Your art work is fantastic, that Sid image/ neon is truly brilliant

I'm sure you're just as good at decorating so I think you're too cheap.

I'm not in a 'trade' but 10 years ago decided to go Self-Employed instead of on the books in the forestry industry.
    Initially main contractors didn't want to pay what I thought was fair for 8 hours on a chainsaw felling trees all day, and for 3 months I started to worry ... then they realised all the experience I've got worked out cheaper in the long term

18. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I agree, I will always price according to data sheet application. If any problems occur, send data sheet to client.
    As you said, the paint has changed so much over the years and your 100% correct.

19. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Being empathetic and conscientious are great traits, but if it's your livelihood then you need to be firmer on costs.
    You say newer paint often takes an extra coat - so you need to quote for that in the estimate. If it doesn't need it, then maybe you could offer a slight discount once the job is finished?

JayCee2020 and Dr Decorator like this.
  20. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Dvddvd, really like some of your stuff on eBay, the Sid Vicious neon one for £140 caught my eye, but look I’m a bit down on my luck at the minute, would you take £2.30?

seriously I do like them, I’m going to have a proper look later this evening, see what I can talk the wife into letting me have.

keep it up, gotta be better than working for a living.

something I was told years ago that has stayed with me was “ never be the busy fool”, I took that to mean value your skills and time and only work if it’s worth it. At the end of the day what we all want is a fair days pay for a fair days labour.

quite a few years ago the wife was recommended a mobile hairdresser, she started coming every month or so, I can’t remember now what she charged but she used to do the wife, (proper style and blow dry, me and the three boys a run over with the clippers) but it was cheap, I mean silly cheap to the point I felt guilty, she was a really nice girl and worked incredibly hard. I used to give her a decent tip on top of what she asked for and she even refuse that and we’d end up in a debate about how much she would accept, it was ridiculous. Over the coming months we got to know her better and I used to keep saying to her put your prices up, but she was frightened of losing her client base. One day I asked her, honestly if you doubled your prices how many clients would you lose? She said at least half of them. Well that’s easy then do it and if you do you will still be earning the same but for half the work and less travelling expense. She did, she was right but within 2 months she had most return and taken on new ones, she never looked back. Still see her from time to time, she doesn’t cut hair any more but she mentions this now and again and says she wish she’d listened earlier.
    Sorry long waffle, take what you will from it, but it’s true I promise.

Dr Decorator likes this.