Asbestos cement gutters

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Juno 60, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Juno 60

Juno 60 New Member

My gutters are made of asbestos cement. The paintwork is peeling but otherwise they are in good order. I don't want to replace them for the forseeable, as they are doing their job fine.

How best to repaint them? No sanding, obviously, but are there any special techniques/products for painting asbestos cement?

2. T

T Member

i'm guessing masonry paint. Or may be a product from plasticoat. May be spray on enamel, dont know if you can use outdoors though.

3. Chris.S.Wales

Chris.S.Wales New Member

Hi I guess I was one off the culprits that installed these gutters in 1959. Now 63 and still going strong in the building trade.
    We always used a good quality emulsion paint as the first coat on installations it stops any burning through to oil based undercoats and gloss paints. Also when flaking has taken place - first clean out the gutters and let them dry then apply a bitumen paint to the inside. One still then applied a good quality emulsion paint as the first coat then undercoat and gloss. This will stop the flaking. Asbestos cement sofiets are similar emulsion first.
    Hope that helps. Cheers CHRIS