Asbestos help

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jkirb, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Jkirb

Jkirb New Member

hello, I'm not a builder I'm a house wife and I have really freaked myself out today and I'm
    Feeling sick about it frankly.

Clearing out my little girls cupboard in her room today I saw some hooks screwed into the wall by the previous owner were hanging off so I decided to unscrew one and throw it away.

As I was doing it a bit of dust came out where it had been drilled before and only then did it occur to me I might be dealing with asbestos insulation board, which I know from research online has been used as wall partition in the past.

I'm so upset, have posted a pic of another one of the hooks, does anyone whose been on an asbestos awareness course or works with asbestos know what this is?

Can I let my little girl sleep in her room tonight? I feel awful.

Attached Files:

2. Jkirb

Jkirb New Member

I should point out my house was built in 1962 :-(

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hard to say from a photo but it looks a bit like plasterboard, usually a sandwich of two layers of cardboard with plaster in the middle, although the only way to be sure is to test it, usually Asbestos Insulation Board is a solid board and not sandwiched between layers of card. Asbestos Cement is normally ¼inch thick, smooth on one side and dimpled on the other
    Unless the cupboard used to hold a gas boiler or similar unit (hot water cylinders don't count) there is really no logical reason for it to be asbestos.
    Have a google for plaster board and see if it looks like what you have.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

On second thoughts search plasterboard holes and click on image search that might be better.

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

If you largen the pic you can see it's plasterboard

6. Jkirb

Jkirb New Member

Thanks for replies, Reason I panicked so much is that HSE website says it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between the two.

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Really, I would say its almost certainly not plasterboard, not saying its Asbesto though.

8. Jkirb

Jkirb New Member

What makes you say it's definitely not plasterboard if you don't mind me asking

9. Jkirb

Jkirb New Member

Any asbestos removal people about to advise, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to sleep tonight

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Asbestos or not, the dangerous limits of inhaling asbestos dust is a lot higher than you think. Just having it sat there is not a reason for panic.

11. Jkirb

Jkirb New Member

It's the bit of dust I dislodged that has got me so worried, especially as it might be the terrible types of asbestos.

12. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

That's organic fibre. AIB looks completely different.

There is a chance that there coat be a coating on fibre board.

Keep the cupboard closed. Get it tested for peace of mind but I'd also get a good night's sleep as it doesn't look suspicious to me.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plasterboard never contained asbestos, only in AIB (Asbestos insulating board) & ACB (Asbestos cement board).

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Probably plasterboard but hard to tell for sure. With that tiny hole your exposure is going to be very low to none. We all have been exposed to it at some point but best not go messing with it. Get a test kit. Cheap enough for piece of mind

15. Jkirb

Jkirb New Member

Thanks for replies, How would I get a sample without causing more dust?

16. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Two ways, get a test kit yourself (mask gloves and sample bag) wet the area to stop dust escaping and take a bit about the size of a 20p piece, having a cheap garden hand spray as you work will help keep things damp. Send your sample off for testing following the rules for posting they will give you.
    Second most expensive, but simpler get a sample taken by a qualified engineer, he will have the gear and take whatever precautions required. You can also get him to give an opinion on whether your house is at risk generally. A full survey is quite expensive but most of these guys are helpful and will give you the nod as to whether is is required or not.
    DIY samples cost between £25 and £50 (I do wonder if you get what you pay for with some) a professional will be £100 to &125 as a rough guide.
    Whatever you do avoid an internet search for a company, stick to one approved by these people.
    http://www.arca.org.uk/

As said by most of us we cannot be sure, but frankly the small amount of disturbance you have done is unlikely to be a major problem and the chances are it is not asbestos.
    Get it checked though because these sort of worries tend to niggle at you for ages.
    Do let us know how you get on:)

17. Jkirb

Jkirb New Member

Thanks Teabreak, they definitely do niggle. I will get it tested.