Asbestos Or Old Wool In Loft Area?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by jollyboyjon1, Jan 14, 2020.

1. jollyboyjon1

jollyboyjon1 New Member

Hi Folks. New member here looking for some advice. I am looking to floor the loft area of a house we recently bought. I believe it was built about 1935. The original (I think) insulation is still in between the rafters (image attached). But up one end there is a collection of fluffy stuff. Similar in golden colour. Has it been anything to do with old chimney stack and pipe that was there (now removed) or is it possibly old cavity insulation. Looking to know if its OK to handle and remove it from the loft area to fix chipboard flooring to the joists. One of the images is without camera flash .... hence the different colour appearance. Thank You for the guidance. 20200113_202005.jpg 20200113_202005.jpg 20200113_201506.jpg

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

No asbestos there, it's just old glassfibre insulation, which will make you itch,scratch,etc,bludy awful stuff, so no bare skin, & wear a mask,eye protection, if removing it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Yep, terrible stuff to handle, probably put down in the 1970s.

4. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

As above, not inherently dangerous, but not very nice...

If you're boarding over it anyway, just leave it insitu, extra insulation & you don't have to faff around. Win/win.