At last

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by dinkydo, Jul 25, 2019.

1. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

That is irrelevant and doesn't address the problem. It isn't the Royal family or the Lords that are blocking deal or no deal Brexit. It is House of Commons arithmetic. No majority and remainer Tory MPs means nothing will be passed by Parliament, whether a Brexit deal or no deal.

I expect a deal between the Tories and Farage's Brexit party not to stand against each other followed by a snap general election. As long as they don't squander their lead in the polls by proposing a Dementia Tax, like they did last time, Boris's party would probably return with a large majority in The Commons and the Brexit problem would resolve itself.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. I did not say it was. I was pointing out the fact that we will never be a true Democracy as long as we still have the unelected house of lords and the unelected royal family.
    The only way we will be a true Democracy is to have an elected second house and an elected Head of State,or the Prime Minister is the Head of State.

3. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

That depends on what you mean by "true" democracy.

Here in the UK we have a constitutional monarchy, whatever you have been led to believe. The monarch's power is limited by the, albeit unwritten, constitution whilst legislative power is held by Parliament, with only the lower house being elected by one form (party, first past the post) of democracy.

Even if you got what you ask for, arguments would still continue that it was not a true democracy without proportional representation. Then, just like Italy, you could have a new government almost every year.

4. It would be a start getting rid of the freeloading saxe-coburg and gotha's along with the unelected house of lords.

5. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

Remember, we have tried all of this before, but the resulting system and its problems prompted a swift return. Most of those countries that have tried it since haven't found the end result so good either.

6. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

8613247C-F387-49B5-B6AB-AAD204FCD9B4.jpeg My little love and myself are on a short break in North Devon (D A country) while strolling along Barnstable High Street we came across an old fashioned sweet shop and it was called D A’s Sweet Emporium, now it could be just a coincidence, but take a look at the jar of sweets in the window, makes me wonder has he at last seen the light ?

7. Did they have any his remainer sweets.
    [​IMG]Sour Plooms.

Heat likes this.
  8. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

people had a farmer with a board saying leave now we are leaving hes worried about exports and his grants
    his wife while smoking and in her wheel chair kept shouting we can do it on are own take back control
    now i know this will get to sum as im giving my opinion and its a no no on this but she is now dead and he doesnt farm anymore
    when she was alive she went on about the penny we lost when we went decimal and had no idea of any of todays politics
    he thought the the bus that was driving about about the money going to eu was coming to him
    bull s&*t does baffle brains
    2008 when we had a cloble recetion one youngster who had never been out of work blamed the goverment for it and voted conservative he was usless and has not worked since as you cant carry people in the recession
    sorry sorry sorry want do it again

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

No-one can seriously complain about losing grants if we leave can they, its no different to having your dole stopped so you have to get a job, hardly anyone elses problem is it now.

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

So the truth is out, not took long has it. Our saviour boris is heading for BRINO, this is just the start.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ingle-market-customs-union-2021.html#comments

If anyone is serious about wanting out then they have to vote for the Brexit party surely, no other politician is prepared to compromise their own ritchies to achieve it. They have all got ties to things like off shore wind farms of farming subsidies where the EU gives them pots of gold in return for unconditional support, they are all as bent as a nine bob note.

11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

For those who want a second referendum, I would ask the following 2 questions.
    1/ What would you do if the second vote also said 'leave'?
    2/ The people voted to leave, by the same percentage majority that they voted to join 40 years ago. To ignore the will of the electorate does not sit well with Democracy, what other issues decided by the people should also be overturned? This is the 'thin end of the wedge'.

Heat, longboat and Dave Marques like this.
  12. We did not vote to join the EU, we voted to join the EEC, aka the common market. Successive Governments signed us up to the EU without asking the people,Blair twice promised a referendum on one of the treaties, but as usual from him it was lies.

The people were also told lies with the Referendum to join the common market,to get us to join,if we had been told the truth we would have voted not to join.

Remember the Butter mountains,Wine Lakes,etc to push the prices up. The Common Market was corrupt and the EU more so.

Heat, longboat and Dave Marques like this.
  13. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

Now its a gas bubble about to burst... :(

Despite crashing wholesale prices, I don't think my gas bill has hit a 10 year low though. More like a 10 year high!

14. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

A leader who is quoted as saying “eff business”[1].

Wonderful. The conservatives have now gone from the party of business to the party of effing us. Oh, and with the recent spending announcements it seems they’ve found that “magic money tree” after all.

This Brexit thing has become a religion. Leavers and remainers are judging each other on ideological purity to their cause instead of economics. When the PM’s attitude is “eff business” then you know that all other principles and values are to be sacrificed on the alter of ideology.

TBH, I don’t really want another Brexit debate (which isn’t ever a debate, it’s just people quoting Express or Guardian articles). I’m kinda stoic about the whole thing now. Y’all want to go “full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes”? Whatever. Go for it. The smart money’s on the torpedoes[2].

[1] it’s interesting that our prime minister’s view of business uses such offensive language that I can’t even quote it on a tradesmen’s forum.

[2] Ha! Literally, I suppose, as some of my life savings are in pounds. The devaluation of the pound will explode life savings denominated in pounds. I suppose it’s fitting that the people who voted for this are called the baby “boomers”.

15. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

I am not the author but have had this passed on to myself.

Feel free to contest any of the points.

I have realised that the Remainers have been right all along when they say I did not know all the true facts before voting to leave, and it's true! We WERE lied to apparently - as I decided to do a little research.

I just voted to leave because I thought our sovereignty was being compromised by foreign unelected masters. That we were compelled to have unlimited uncontrolled immigration, our laws and export agreements dictated by Brussels bureaucrats - and had to pay eye-watering amounts for the privilege

However...

I did not know more than 10,000 EU officials get paid more than our Prime Minister.

I did not know that, unlike the UK, 18 countries get more back from the EU than they put in.

I did not know that the EU occupies over 45 buildings - 2 of which were purpose built monuments of grandeur and are the largest buildings in Europe.

I did not know that the EU Parliament spends 150 million euros a year moving to Strasbourg every month for 4 days committee meetings - and any attempt to stop this madness is vetoed by France.

I did not know that the EU has had a huge luxury shopping Mall built in Brussels for exclusive use of EU employees.

I did not know that every day queues of chauffeur driven cars, with their engines running, wait outside EU establishments while their occupants go in, sign in for their attendance allowance and expenses, then come straight back out and are driven away.

I did not know that many of them (like the Kinnocks) end up as millionaires as a reward for looking the other way!

I did not know that Clegg was lying when he mocked Nigel Farage for saying that an EU army was being planned - and Brussels said all along that it would NEVER happen.

I did not know that the EU had been financing the mass movement of industries from UK to mainland Europe.

I did not know that every member of the EU Council has to swear an Oath of Allegiance to the EU - so they are not a country's representative to the EU. They are the EU's representaive to the country!

I could go on and on but suffice it to say that I have never for a moment doubted the correctness of my decision but I am now more sure than ever.

I am so glad that the Remainers prompted me to look deeper into the bureaucratic absurdity of being in the EU.

Apart from all that, everything's fine!

16. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

You didn’t know much, did you?
    You do know how to copy/paste from Facebook though. Well done you.

Is there anything on inflation, exchange rates, tariffs or overseas investment that you know?
    Pro tip: Copy/paste it from the FT or The Economist if you can’t be bothered to think for yourself.

17. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

It always gives me a chuckle when remainers get so hot under the collar when they are presented with the facts on how our billions in contributions are being spent, in the words of corporal Jones they don’t like it up em :p

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  18. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Errrr it’s less than half a percent of our gdp.
    I couldn’t give a fig how it’s spent. It’s literally a rounding error.

Remind me, how’s the pound doing? How’s inflation doing? How’s internal investment doing?

But chuckle away like an idiot[1] if it makes you happy.

[1] although obviously not an idiot savant. They can do maths.

19. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I am a sort of racist but a rather odd one. Countries should either allow immigration or not allow it at all. I don't much care what the colour of their skin is or where they come from. It should just be one or the other. Add to that a number of people from various countries and of various colours know I am not a racist at all. Far from it. A number of them have actually talked to me about the problems it causes them. It sometimes helps.

What I object to is people like Farage and less directly other making racist moves and comments and in real terms having no intention at all about doing anything about it. Even Farage has said we must have it. The bad aspect really is things like a points system. It sort of says that people that are already in the country can not do or be trained to do some jobs. In some cases it's more that the people here wont do certain jobs. Elsewhere these people might starve if they didn't. That aspect is a tough nut to crack.

Brexit. Sounds to me that Boris is having an election give away or he is deliberately heading for a no deal exit. It seems that there may be one way of getting that through parliament but in some ways that seems unlikely. If that does happen he can simply blame any problems on the EU. The curious thing about the deal even if the problem area is removed is that it says nothing what so ever about how the country deals with others in the future. That could be as bad as a so called no deal. Deals take 2 sides so can't be dictated and they also tend to take a long time. For example 22nd July this year. The UK had managed to get 12 countries we deal with currently to accept the current arrangement. That's out of 40. Tarrifs remain the same on the ones that have agreed and they total 11% of our current trading. Pity about the remaining 89%. Earlier reports mentioned conditions being imposed in some cases so have just failed. Human rights seems to be one of them.

John
    -

20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

A UK exporting business that's struggling, given the current value of sterling, should perhaps take a step back from blaming brexit for all their problems by dogmatically placing their faith in mathematics rather than looking at the big picture.
    The opportunity was granted to all of us to say 'yay or nay' to the federalist ambitions of the EU, and im still hopeful that the decision (by democratic vote) will prevail.