Attic conversion and L Shaped Dormer

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Alex Reynolds, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Alex Reynolds

Alex Reynolds New Member

HI all,

I'm looking to get the ball rolling with an L shaped dormer and attic conversion for my mid terrace Victorian house circa 1905. Before I engage with an architect and pay for drawings to then get a proper quote from a builder, i'm wondering if the screwfix communitee can offer a ballpark guestimate on a price either based on your own experience or knowledge. I'm only looking to have the bare minimum done to make the conversion/dormer water tight as I will then take over all of the internal work myself. I will be getting drawings done in the next few weeks but happy to receive any feedback from you guys.

Thank you

Alex

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Circa £35k

3. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

4. Alex Reynolds

Alex Reynolds New Member

Ouch. I wash hoping it would cost that if I were to let the builder finish it but I want to do all of the internal work myself so was hoping for less. Still, if that's what it costs, then that's what it costs, I'm not willing to cut corners

5. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Depends where in the country you are, VAT is a killer on jobs like these.

6. Alex Reynolds

Alex Reynolds New Member

I'm in Buckinghamshire, South East

7. datadiyer

datadiyer New Member

I was very lucky in finding an excellent chippy through a friend who worked on an hourly rate. Cost about £7500 labour for a full width dormer. All steels were installed and loft was made watertight ready for internal works I.e insulation, plastering, electrics etc.
    Only downfall is I'm useless at finishing jobs and it is still on going 2 years later ☹

8. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member

When you say L shape I assume you are going out onto a rear outrigger? Be wary of levels.

I designed a similar job a couple of years ago and had big issues with planning who vetoed the original proposal because it was covering part of the back wall of the original dwelling. This came from the outrigger being lower than the main part so there was a tiny triangle of wall showing on elevation.

The planner who dealt with the thing felt it was fine but the boss man got properly hormonal about it. We had to narrow the rear bit down a bit to leave this bit of wall clear.

You can incidentally raise the ridge on the outrigger: it's the main ridge line that determines max height.

£35k sounds high to me for bare shell but it obviously depends how far you go: you could leave out stairs, fire doors, electrickery, plumbing, insulation, floor, plasterboard, second fix joinery.

I saved well over £1k when I did my daughters loft doing my own stairs: designed walls round them so 18 ply stringers (taken off CAD drawing) screwed straight into studs, 2x1 battens screwed and glued to them then treads and risers again 18ply. The 4x4 PAR for the newels was the most expensive bit of the exercise! Very satisfying thing to build.

You may well be able to upgrade your doors to fire doors by the way: I used a company called Envirograph who were really helpful in advising what specification would do. If memory serves it cost about £400 for 7 doors and I took a total of 3 days to do the job. This left me with painted doors. Check that your BCO would be ok with this first of course.

Jord86 likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

It must have taken 2 years to get mine complete. Once I get going I get a fair bit done. Best to do small chunks otherwise it will feel overwhelming and lack motivation to do anything.

10. Alex Reynolds

Alex Reynolds New Member

hi thanks for the response. This is exactly what I was thinking, only having a chippy to make it watertight and I will take it from there. Most of my friends are in trades I.e. plumbing, electrician, plastering and will be happy to do it on a day rate, but I don’t know a builder/chippy to do the actual conversion. I didn’t actually know a chippy could do it, thought it was more a builder thing but thank you for the information

11. Alex Reynolds

Alex Reynolds New Member

They’re level at the moment so I would assume that they would stay level?
    35k is definitely too much for a bare shell. All I want is it watertight and then I will take it from there so was expecting below £15k

12. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Generally carpenters are particular, builders are not.

13. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member

Don't employ an architect: get a good technician who specializes in lofts.