Attic insulation fallen into bedroom

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Cadishead67, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Cadishead67

Cadishead67 Member

So, I was clearing out some old loose fill attic insulation (see pic) and part of the ceiling was not screwed in properly. While scooping, part of the ceiling tumbled onto the bed below.

I think that it is old Rockwool. I have had it asbestos tested previously and it was negative during a survey. Fibrous dust went everywhere.

I am going to throw the quilt and pillows. What is the best way to clean up such a room? Quite a bit fell down.

I have sorted the ceiling for now. I recently moved in and everything has been botched. Overboarding the ceilings is now another job added to the list given how knackered they all are.

Attached Files:

2. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

I having trouble visualising what exactly happened here. Are you saying that a portion of plasterboard detached from the ceiling joists and fell down into the room below? Maybe some additional photos from the bedroom would help provide some better advice.
    If the question is mainly about how to best clear up the mess from collapsed plasterboard, glass fibre loft roll and loose fill granular insulation, then the answer is to get a stiff broom and sweep up as much as possible, then vacuum up what is left. The bedding will be fine if you simply shake off the worst outside in the garden and then wash in the washing machine, as I presume the quilt and pillows had pillow cases and duvet covers on when it happened?

3. Cadishead67

Cadishead67 Member

Yeah my question was about cleaning up the mess. I could see lots of fibres in the light and I think that it got very dusty from it. So washing machine washing should sort it out? Unfotunately there are clothes etc... in that bedroom.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have insulated many a loft with all sorts of prickly insulation.
    I just put my clothes in the washing machine afterwards and they're fine.
    Throwing away bedding because a bit of insulation dust landed on them seems like alarmist spoiled brattish behaviour to me.

5. Cadishead67

Cadishead67 Member

I think most of us are spooked by the way Asbestos training is given. I have a 3 month old baby in the house so I am being overly cautious to protect him but I am glad that washing will sort this out.