Attic Trusses

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Bando, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Bando

Bando Member

Building my own bungalow with rooms in the attic. Just had the trusses delivered and decided to put them on ourselves. Well try anyways. We put the first truss in place last night by hand but have a crane coming this morning. Bloody hell they r heavy.

Anyways we got the first truss in place across the "L" section of the bungalow. We tacked it with timbers down to the wall plates and a rope to stop it falling backwards. We have nailes the truss clips to it yet coz there is a bend of about 6 inches in the bottom centre of the truss.
    Whats the best way to get this bend out?
    I wasnt sure whether it will come out when the bracing starts going in, but was worried if i nail the truss clips the truss wont be able to straighten.
    Also the truss (which is 3 truss' nailes together) that sits on the L section wouldnt fit as the overhang was in line with the wall plate running the other way. Is it correct to just cut those overhangs off?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Please don't flame me i usually employ a carpenter for any work but this is the only way i can afford to build my own place.