Aurora fire rated downlights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sparkybird, Jan 11, 2007.

1. sparkybird

sparkybird New Member

My wholesaler showed me some of these that they'd tested out today. Not impressed! The intumescent material was like dust and in no way sealed off the top of the light. They are no longer going to stock them.
    Anyone else tested them out recently?
    SB

2. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

never heard of 'em!

3. Robin Goodfellow

Robin Goodfellow New Member

Anyone else tested them out recently?
    SB

Hang on, I'll just set fire to my kitchen and let you know in 30 minutes. . . .

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I've called the fire brigade, Robin

5. Sparktastic

Sparktastic New Member

We have used quite a lot of them and they all seem good to me, never had any problems.

6. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I recently fitted 30 of them although I must admit I never tested the working of the intumescent seal!

7. state-it

state-it New Member

Unless the customer has specced differently, that's all I've fitted over the past 3 years. 100s and 100s and 100s of them.

Did your wholesaler 'test' any other makes?

8. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

One of the things I do like about Aurora is that they have decent connections, quite easy to loop in/out with 1.0mm t/e. (gu10's)

9. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

So, somebody in marketing gets their companies millions under the false pretense that normal downlight fittings will kill your family and fire rated ones are the saviour. If they were that concerned about the spread of fire you would have thought they would have made sure they actually worked.

Fire rated downlights have got to be up there with bottled water and global warming as 21st century rip off's.

No wonder this country is fooked, everyone is thick.

10. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

i have fitted loads, they are fine, what more do you want for £6+vat. They are only fire rated not fire proof, what do you expect to see, the whole house burnt down but the trusty spot lights still intact in the ashes? The thing i like about them, is i dont worry too much if someones loft is full of school years books , if one falls onto the spot at a later date, a regular light could set light in an hour.

11. Buzx1313

Buzx1313 New Member

only fit fire rated if we have too...ie when building regs say so..

all the sparks around my way only fit fire rated,,,WHY??

lack of knowledge me thinks....