Avoiding cutting holes in walls

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MaybeJoe, Jun 15, 2020.

1. MaybeJoe

MaybeJoe New Member

Strange issue here...

(Yet another water hammer post I know but just looking for any other ideas)

Water hammer when any tap (quarter turn) shower toilet etc turns off.

Seems to be from under the bath / boxed in where the pipes come upstairs from the kitchen.

I really don't want to cut a hole in the wall to see if they need clipped if I can help it.
    Also can't get under bath (new bathroom) again last resort.

Tried a hammer arrestor (0.16L expansion vessel) on kitchen tap. Absolutely no difference.

Turned stopcock down to just under halfway. Reduces flow drastically. Lowers hammer noise.

Open any other tap in the house slightly. No hammer noise when closing. (But you can see the water pulsing through the other tap.)

No dead legs that I'm aware of. No prv or meter. Combi boiler, no water tank.
    Water pressure at outside tap is 3.2bar.

Any ideas before I open the walls would be much appreciated.

TIA

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Boiler pressure won’t affect your water hammer issue but it’s too high. Usually recommended to be around 1 bar.

3. MaybeJoe

MaybeJoe New Member

Apologies that was bad wording.
    Water at the garden tap was 3.2 bar on a pressure gauge.

4. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Ah - makes more sense. That’s fine for mains pressure. Other than adding more shock arrestors I can’t offer any more advice if you don’t want to open up boxed pipework.

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Work on the basis of try easy/accessible stuff 1st. After that I’m afraid time to bite the bullet. Bath panel should not be installed so that maintenance cannot be carried out, it will always at some time in the future. Lesson learnt

6. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

In most cases these days it points to a worn cartridge in what can be any tap in the property and not always were the noise appears to be coming from.
    A most popular worn cartridge is in the hot tap on the kitchen sink which can be indicated by it turning itself on when another tap in the property is opened.

7. MaybeJoe

MaybeJoe New Member

No taps turning on on their own, any other symptoms of this?

8. MaybeJoe

MaybeJoe New Member

Update:
    Decided to change old stopcock however we were unable to isolate the water outside.

Water board came out and said they would need to dig it out and replace. 15 day wait for them to come back.