Awkward Customers!

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Ron12, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Ron12

Ron12 Member

Had to do a quote today for moving rad to other side of upstairs bedroom, I told the customer the pipes must run under the floor as t&e cable is running along skirting board. Customer insists she wants copper pipe run along nearly 2 walls to new rad. I will Not be issuing a quote for this job, awkward customers who think they know best and will probably be more trouble than it's worth!

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

If it looks sh!te in aint your problem, customer is also always right:cool:

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Bump up the price if you don't want it.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do what the customer requests, estimate in writing, work pays the bills!;)

5. Ron12

Ron12 Member

It's not just it looking a mess, but also me being legally responsible if the cable melted due to excess heat or flooded electrics! I have found from previous experience these types of customers are a pain to deal with.

6. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Maybe I'm missing something here...
    But, as a potential customer, what's the problem with pipes going along the walls... I agree it won't look as nice, but if painted same colour as the walls I personally don't find it an issue... and I'd probably rather have that done than all the hassle of carpet and floorboards up to do the work, which will obviously cost more..
    As I say, am I missing something?

Regards,
    Cando

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's the catch 'if'.

8. Ron12

Ron12 Member

Electrics are running along bottom of skirting, so if the pipe was ever to leak it would damage them and also the problem of excess heat near to t&e cable.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How close would they be and how bad is your soldering?

10. Ron12

Ron12 Member

Yes, but if the cable was to melt and say that the customer had a pile of laundry near said wall and the laundry caught fire I would be held responsible! I could say I advised the customer it's not a good idea, however it's my word against theirs and it's against regulations

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There's more to this story than the OP is letting on about.

12. Ron12

Ron12 Member

The pipe would be within the 40mm range of the electrics and it could leak in the future, soldering isn't really an issue.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Has somebody proposed doing the job this way and you're looking for us to justify your opinion?

14. Ron12

Ron12 Member

How?

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Your story doesn't sound true.

16. Ron12

Ron12 Member

She is insistent on doing it this way. I'm just bringing up about awkward customers we have to face from time to time.

17. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Fair enough, I see your reasoning...
    But..
    If pipes were under the floor they are just as likely to leak... and surely most folk have cables under the floor as well.

If it's against regulations fair enough though!
    Regards,
    Cando

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is the she your partner?
    What regs are being broken?
    Are you a qualified sparks?

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Careful mind, you're on the 'just talk' forum, full of diyers who shouldn't be allowed to post opinions or buy tools........:D

Joe95 and CGN like this.
  20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why wasn't this posted on the sparks forum, they would have loved it :p:p

Jord86 likes this.