Awkward Stair Rail Replacement

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jfwibberley, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Jfwibberley

Jfwibberley New Member

Hi,

I have to replace this stair rail, but I want to use a proper stair rail with spindles.
    Stairs.jpg
    But the problem is that the stairs are set too close to the wall to have the rail going all the way up, but not far out enough to fix a rail to the ceiling without over lapping the wall. My only idea is to have the railing go up to where the ceiling is, and then extend the part that overlaps the wall into a mitre, then rip down a piece of the banister to join to the mitre as trim along the wall. If that makes any sense. But would fixing the rail into the wall/ ceiling be a strong enough fixing? If anyone has any better ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Josh

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Either build out the newels and plant a false string on enough to be able to get a handrail on even though it will be tight to the wall, do diminishing handrail and spindles up to the ceiling intersection then continue the handrail on with a wall mounted section, or fit a handrail up the full length mitred with a small return piece into the newels at 90 degrees then fit your spindles like a cut string staircase by dowelling or mortising and tenoning the bottoms into the treads, two spindles to each tread. You will have to fit your spindles first using this last method, then plonk the handrail on top. There are several ways around your problem.

3. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

I would put the diminishing handrail back in as standard and then run a separate piece either up the same side or run one along the other wall to finish where the diminishing hits the ceiling or just run it all the way down.