Awning fixing for hollow pebble dash wall

Discussion in 'Screwfix Trade Counters' started by Have-a-go-Seano, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Have-a-go-Seano

Have-a-go-Seano New Member

We have an awning I want to put up. Used to have bolts you hammer in to the wall and then secure the awning in place with a nut but left those bolts in the wall of the old house.

Bought some concrete bolts to use instead but quickly realised as I drilled a pilot hole that the pebble dash wall was hollow and even with a 8cm drill bit I still didn’t hit brick.

Any suggestions for fixings I could use?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Do you have a no fines house or EWI or similar?

3. Have-a-go-Seano

Hi sorry for the delay, I was expecting to be alerted to a response.. better check the settings.

I don’t know if it’s a no fines house - if I had to guess it would be Ewi

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If it’s EWI then you want to get a fixing into the substrate behind, so purchase a 200mm or so 10mm sds drill bit (providing you have an sds drill) and use 150-200mm thunderbolts. You’d be best off purchasing a 17mm socket bit and adapter for your drill as it’ll nearly kill you to wind them in manually.

5. Have-a-go-Seano

Sounds good. I’ve already drilled a pilot hole so I will see how much gap there is between the pebbledash and then potentially buy the right size bolts required.

would you recommend any heavy duty anchor plugs like you would use for plasterboard or do you think that an awning would be too heavy?

6. Have-a-go-Seano

For anyone reading this…metal heavy duty plasterboard plugs seem to be doing the trick

James O connor likes this.