[b]Buying a new jigsaw, but which one?[/b]

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by golp01, Nov 3, 2003.

1. golp01

golp01 New Member

I have an old Hitachi jigsaw which is at least 15yrs old.The trouble is, the bugger won't die.
    It is completely incapable of cutting accurately using a straight edge, and the steel soleplate which has been bent and straightened more times than my back also marks the worktops, so that i have to tape them before cutting.
    The real problem is though, I am used to its foibles, I set the speed and the pendulum action to suit the material and then cut to a pencil line. The end results are very accurate, but require me to cut with my head directly over the cutter and anticipating any deviation before it occurs. It's a lot like hard work doing that all the time. So:
    I would really appreciate comments/advice on what to go for. I admit, I really fancy the Festool and its 3 point blade guide, but I am not going to shell out £400+ for a jigsaw. I was thinking more of about £200ish.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and no, Wolf, I don't think I want to place my old one in a rectal position. Lol.

cheers,

pete

2. dante

dante New Member

Anything from Bosch or Matika sould be fine or if you want to support the UK economy there is a nice looking one from JCB in argos for £40 odd I think. I thought they were tacky looking but have bought a few tools and have to say for the price not bad at all (just as long as you can stomach the yellow colour overload)

3. cadmaster

cadmaster New Member

Sorry to disillusion you and correct me if I am wrong but JCB kit is produced in the same Chinese factory as Argos own-labelled brand Challenge along with Ferm, Nu-Tool, Power Devil, B&Q?s Performance Power and Aximinsters own label etc. The only differences are the price and there colour.

Although I have noticed recently that they now appear to be altering the outside cases slightly

The cheapest source for these appears to be at Lidl or Aldi supermarkets when have them in stock.

JCB appear to be more expensive than most because of the name, which I suppose is meant conjures up thoughts of powerful machines i.e. Excavators and bulldozers etc.

?A rose by any other name still smells the same?.

?So a Chinese router by any name still route's the same?.

Cheers

John

4. dante

dante New Member

Hey I thought that until I bought a few of their tools, while they appear a bit duff, I found them quite well designed and anyway why would JCB put their well known name to *****?

Obviously China is where they are made for the price like most things these days, but it's just not true they are branded alone.

5. pachyderm

pachyderm New Member

JCB power tools are part of the Alba group - they also do Power Devil, though I don't believe they're the same tools.

I'd certainly steer clear of Challenge though - my experience is they are far worse than they look, and they look c--p. I believe they're made by Hilka. Anyway, you probably don't need this advice as you've set your budget high enough to avoid the cheap rubbish.

6. pachyderm

pachyderm New Member

Explanation of my previous posting. -
    I was recently given an unused Challenge jig saw (made by Hilka - model MJ5018). It won't cut straight, always veering off to the left about 20 degrees.
    As I'm not expecting to make a great deal of use of a jigsaw I bought a Ferm JSV650P (a week before SF dropped the price :( ) Though many times better than the Challenge, I very much doubt it will satisfy your requirements.

7. cadmaster

cadmaster New Member

The point I was making was not there quality or lack of it. But where they originated.

As to why JCB have lent their name, I would say that this is for profit. Money certainly not for prestige.

I dont understand what you mean, when you say (but it's just not true they are branded alone.)

A rose by any other name still smells the same.

So a Chinese drill by any name still drills the same.

Cheers
    John

8. golp01

golp01 New Member

You're right Pachy, (can I call you big nose?). I was really looking for something which I wouldn't want to put down, once I had seen it. And somehow I don't think £40 worth, would do that. I have my own test for a good jigsaw (with of course, a good blade in it). Take a piece of 2" by 2", 30" long, and try to cut a perfect 90 degrees, so that the timber will stand on its end without falling over if placed on a flat level surface. My old one can do this all the time but only by me following the pencil line like a hawk, and getting plenty of sawdust in my eyes at the same time. Hence the need for a new one. I can promise you though that, despite what you may have been told by others, a good quality jigsaw can match the cut of a mitre saw, if operated by a skilled user. Not by me yet however. And definetely not with my old Hitachi.

Keep the suggestions coming though, and thanks.

pete

9. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

I recently bought a DeWalt jigsaw as my AEG had packed up.
    It performs OK, it seems vital that a new blade is put in fairly regularly, I find the Bosch variable teeth blades work well, the only downside is that it blows the sawdust directly into your eyes so you have to wear goggles. Hope this is of use. Mr Kitchen.

10. bodget&scarper

bodget&scarper New Member

hi,always used bosch (scintila)good on the vino again.brill bit of kit , however when last one over 16 years old and getting very noisy,got the gst2000(melium edition)ooh, but it has a sds blade system.which now has a crack in it and one day when i will need it most, i can c this dam thing breaking, but still a good industrial machine.

11. pachyderm

pachyderm New Member

You're right Pachy, (can I call you big nose?).
    Sure you can. I've got a thick skin.

12. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

I have a really nice jigsaw. It has 2000 bits and a picture of a thatched cottage on it, When I cant get bits to fit in I trim them up until they do.

No, I've got a Trend and it is Good with a capital 'F'

13. WOLF

WOLF New Member

golp01, firtstly i will not shove 'owt any where rectally!!!(unless it's an apprentice abusing tools)
    the main point, you say that you like the festool but it is over £400 ...where..con artists are us!!!!
    try the rutlands web site(rutlands.co.uk) where upon they have the festool PS300EQ, (cat ref 561100) for the princely sum of £229.95, it comes with the usual case and a couple of blades, splinter guards, and it also has a poly base which does not mark upo the work tops, and a subby of mine swears by his!!!! hope this helps..so check it out dear chap!!

14. golp01

golp01 New Member

Thanks Wolf, you are a gentleman and a scholar. There are so few of us left. lol

I might also add that your genorosity far outweighs your personal charm.

cheers,

pete

15. WOLF

WOLF New Member

personnal charm!!! whats that??? or so my missus keeps telling me i need some sometimes!! and i thought it was something that went on her braclet when i take her out somewhere posh!!!! and regards the trend guide fitting the festool set up my subby said"guide" whats that!!! an all angle and 2 clamps magic!!! no sense my lot!!

16. kc

kc New Member

I have just bought a Festool, you get what you pay for. The action seems slighly diferent to the Bosch I had before but the acurracy is much better I have cut two inches thick absolutley true.

17. dazzer

dazzer New Member

woolworths do one for a tenner . cheap as chips :)

18. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Healys Tools (an eBay store) have the PS300EQ-Plus for £198 inc VAT & shipping....

Go to eBay and search for festool. They only have 3 though, so be quick. I'd have bought one first, but as I'm only a DIY-er I really can't justify it. Looks like the Bosch GST2000/GST85PBE for me....

19. WOLF

WOLF New Member

why the bosch, there are better ones for the same lolly!!

20. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Well, to be honest I haven't actually decided or really looked around at alternatives. In the US the Bosch (there it's the 1587AVSK) has had very good reviews, but of course it's half the price it is here.

All I know is I don't want another crappy one like my current B&D, and £100-ish is what I expect to spend.