[b]Buying a new jigsaw, but which one?[/b]

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by golp01, Nov 3, 2003.

1. WOLF

WOLF New Member

okay, i will see what i can dig up!! (apert from the dogs bones etc... must take away her shovel!!)

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Thanks very much - I'm always ready listen to advice.

3. chopperup

chopperup New Member

On the front of the new Toolstation catalogue they are doing a Freud pro FJ100VCE for £79 .Looks like a nice bit of gear for the money.

4. Mof

Mof Guest

Do not wast your money, Axminster are now selling the Bosch GST80PBE for £89.95 which Most people will say is the BEST Jigsaw ever, it is powerfull,has variable speed,and has no horrible vibration when in use. It is a realy good industrial jig saw.You will not be sorry if you buy this model.

5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

There is a Bosch DIY(green range) pendulum, vairable speed one that I got from homebase for about £55.
    I've been really impressed with it.
    I'm not sure how it would stand up to trade use but it's accurate and nice to use.
    Ya pays for what ya gets in the end.
    If you've got the money get a dewie.
    (not that I've used one before)

6. James

James Guest

Mof, I`ve seen the Bosch GST 200 at Costco for £98.00 inc.Vat. Is this as good as the GST 80PB ?

7. James

James Guest

Sorry , should have typed GST 2000

8. herman gelmet

herman gelmet New Member

I bought one from the professional range at Wickes many years ago, and it has given me much good service. It's a re-badged German one, and is real value at around 60 quid.

9. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Mof, I`ve seen the Bosch GST 200 at Costco for £98.00 inc.Vat. Is this as good as the GST 80PB ?

I think it's better. the GST2000 is the same as the GST85PBE, not the GST80PBE.

I think the difference between the GST2000 and the GST85 is what blades etc are packaged with it, but I might be wrong.

10. butcher

butcher New Member

11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Ha ha.

Actually, thanks to those helpful folks at Axminster I now know that there is no difference between the GST85PBE and the GST2000 - they just renamed it to cash in on the year-before-the-millenium.

12. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

A more detailed story, from Toolshop Direct:

The machine when it was launched was called the GST85PBE and it was an upgrade from the previous model which was a GST80PBE
    The upgrade was to give the machine a greater cutting depth of 85mm over the previous models 80mm (see where the model number comes from)
    Then in October 1999 Bosch launched three Limited Edition versions of popular tools

The GSB2000 Hammer Drill (based on the GSB20-2RE)
    The GST2000 Jigsaw (based on the GST85PBE)
    The GBH2000 Rotary Hammer (based upon the GBH2-24DSR)

The only difference was a commerative year 2000 millennium sticker on each and Bosch called it a Limited edition.

Now here?s the catch!

The above models were all phased out and discontinued after the millennium celebrations and the models were superceded.
    The GST2000 was due to be discontinued but due to public demand and serious reliability problems with the new model (GST100BCE) Bosch decided to keep it in production.
    They continued up until late 2001 to call it a GST2000 but obviously the name became outdated so instead of reverting back to its original name they called it a GST85 Silver Classic
    And that is the name it is known by now. However due to the success of the machine they are still known in the trade as the GST2000.

13. James

James Guest

After reading all the banter about the Bosch GST 2000 I went out and brought one from Costco at £85.00. only to find that in the manual there is yet another model in the range ,the GST 85 PBAE as well as the 85 PBE. The only difference I can see is that the PBAB also has a plastic base plate to prevent marks on wooden surfaces. It also allows for a dust extraction device to be fitted.
    Which my GST 2000 doesn`t appear to have !