[b]Central heating problem[/b]

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jagoml30, Sep 30, 2007.

1. jagoml30

jagoml30 New Member

My brother has recently moved house and when he programs the timer to just call for hot water the upstairs radiators also come on and the downstairs remain cold as they should do. Why when calling for hot water is the heating coming on ? Also he has been told that he has to leave at least one radiator cracked/open even in the summer, the guy who he bought it off couldn't give any reason for this but just said he wouldn't like to see what happens should all the radiators be closed. Any ideas on either problem would be greatly accepted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark

2. what type of boiler/system?

3. jagoml30

jagoml30 New Member

Not sure on the boiler make but I think it's the standard system with the pump and 3 port valve ????

4. jagoml30

jagoml30 New Member

Ignore my last post. The boiler is a Glowworm Hideaway and he cant find a pump or 3 port valve anywhere so he thinks it must be a gravity fed system, unless the pump and valve are boxed in somewhere he cant find.

Thanks

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

6. jagoml30

jagoml30 New Member

No valves in the airing cupboard etc.

7. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

Sounds like its a gravity hot water system so there probably isnt a zone or a diverter valve.If theres 4 22mm water pipes coming off the boiler, its deffinately gravity hot water.
    This means that when its on hot water only,the up stairs rads will be getting hot by the water flowing up on its own. There may be an antigravity valve that might be blocked or passing,easy solution is to have trvs fitted then simply shut off the rads.
    As to not shutting off all the rads ? turn them all off if you want , wont cause a problem at all , just leave the pump off as it wont have any where to pump the water.