[b]fitting TRVs[/b]

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bodger, Mar 23, 2004.

1. bodger

bodger New Member

I am upgrading my old heating system. I am told that I will need to fit TRVs in the Bedrooms. My question is can I remove the exist valve and fit the TRV using the old nut and 1/2" ring,or or do I need to cut off the old ring and try and fit a new length of 15mm pipe?. Not easy since there is only about 60mm of pipe above the floor and I don't want to rip up the floors to get to the 'T' fittings.What is the solution ?

2. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

I have recently done this myself. The problem is not on the 15mm pipe to TRV interface. The existing nuts and olives that came off the Peglers Terrier valve fitted the new Danfoss TRV's perfectly.

The problem was that the Peglers interface nut ar thr Radiator end has a different thread and doesn't dit the Drayton TRV. I had great difficulty budging the old boss in the radiator so resorted to cutting off the olives and using the new Drayton nuts and olives on the old Peglers stubs on the radiators.

3. tgs

tgs New Member

I have found that fitting TRVs with the original compression nuts and olives satisfactory.

I quite prefer the Honeywell TRVs since they can be mounted on flow or return and also horizontally away from the radiator

4. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

Just like the Danfoss then....

5. tgs

tgs New Member

Haven't used the Danfoss ones myself but guess so. Can they be placed vertical or horizontal?

The ones to really avoid are the cheapo ones from places such as B&Q, they tend to freeze up after a while.

6. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

Hi tqs, Yes, the Danfoss can be fitted in either orientation. The flow direction is selectable on the valve. They are not as pretty as the Drayton ones but seem to work well.

7. tgs

tgs New Member

I have to say I'm not convinced by the Draytons. Pretty yes but where are the air holes? I've not used them so I can't really criticize. I like other Drayton stuff though. Their electronic wall stats work very well.

I'll have to look out for the Danfoss ones since Honeywell ones aren't always available.