[b]ItÂ’s now final for the ring circuit[/b]

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Real Spark, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Real Spark

Real Spark New Member

Well from what I heard yesterday from a very sound source

Come the 17th Edition

<u>The ring final circuit, will be history</u>

What&#146;s more, we will be encouraged to convert existing ring final circuit, to radial circuits

As for the 13 amp socket its touch & go (Euro socket looks favourite)

Earthing methods will be revised to comply with Europe

In general installation methods throughout Europe to be similar, allowing any competent Electrician to be able to work in any member country

(I for one agree with most of the above, glad to see the back of the ring final circuit, for the last couple of years I have been installing radial circuits)

RS

2. Real Spark

Real Spark New Member

Also should have mentioned there is noise of some sort of new test/exam to qualify to be graded as the all new Euro Spark

RS

3. Nutty Oak

Nutty Oak Member

Just curious like, do you know what the changes to earthing are likely to be?

4. Forum Admin

Forum Admin New Member

Rediculous. Absolutely rediculous. To comply with europe? I think England has the one of the highest standards around. I've been to some euro countries and thier electrics are a mess.

Comply with europe? For gods sake, why? They should be complying with us. Why can't we stay to be a country by ourselves without having to comply with dodgy looking people?

What a load of rubbish.

5. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

Does anybody have experience of spanish/french sparks, do they take notice fo changes to their regs like we do. or do they just carry on regardless. I like the idea of sockets on radials fed from rcbo's, plus having others circuits on 100mA delayed rcd for fire prevention. I would do it now except for cost, if everyone is forced to do it the rcbo prices will drop.

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I believe the French way is best! :O

They start off with an adjustable current limiting (set by the local DNO depending on cable size etc) 500mA RCD as the Main Cutout/Service head.

Then on the customers side, I believe they have a 100mA Type S RCD as the Main switch for the whole installation, irrespective of earthing arrangements, then ALL circuits are fed by DOUBLE POLE (Another excellent idea, see the Main Hager Catalogue!) RCBO's in radial form!

Our wiring methods are wan<u></u>k in comparison! :O

Bonding is the same, or there abouts.

7. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Double pole, that'll be good to stop us from getting shocks from the neutrals.

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I believe the French way is best! :O

They start off with an adjustable current limiting
    (set by the local DNO depending on cable size etc)
    500mA RCD as the Main Cutout/Service head.

Then on the customers side, I believe they have a
    100mA Type S RCD as the Main switch for the whole
    installation, irrespective of earthing arrangements,
    then ALL circuits are fed by DOUBLE POLE (Another
    excellent idea, see the Main Hager Catalogue!) RCBO's
    in radial form!

Our wiring methods are wan<u></u>k in
    comparison! :O

Bonding is the same, or there abouts.

Well I suppose somthing has to make up for the complete shytiness of the euro-socket.

9. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

I take it this adjustable current limiting is something else, other than the way we adjust it, by changing the fuse?

10. Real Spark

Real Spark New Member

11. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Seeing as radials are limited by length due to earth loop, unless you want to use rediculously large cable, this will be very interesting in practice for floor areas which are served by rings.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a ring. Just cos someone else buggers it up later, well they shouldn't have touched it in the first place then.

12. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Are the french using the word spur for our word radial?

According to that site, if I am not mistaken, we would need seperate circuits for kettles and dishwashers and heaters. Interesting. Will we get a massive distribution board? That'll be interesting to wire up and get the cable runs where they need to go. It's already a squeeze with what we have already.

13. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

had the pleasure rewiring a property in france last year. 30 way consumer unit. 3 main RCD's 2 types, depending whether it is servicing a water operated appliance. maximum 8 sockets/lights per radial. absolutely pain in the ****.

14. goonersteve

goonersteve New Member

A bit off topic, but im looking into moving to New Zealand, I looked at one of their wholesaler sites and they had 60 way boards advertised as for use in larger houses. Sod getting that tested and installed and home by 2pm

15. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Glad someone agrees.

Why doesn't the EU go and 'do' themselves.

Bloke at work was talking about a mate he knows who's a brikie, cos of the EU, the polish have his jobs, he gets sod all. If these regs happen, then what's happening to domestic/site sparks now, will be worse.

16. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

All kitchen appliances have to be on there own circuit as there's no fusing in plug. This is why the have double pole mcb's.

17. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

You see, the fused BS plug is best. Better than the euro trash!

18. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

17th Edition is being written to allow any EEC jack the lad to do electrical work.
    That way there will be 10000000000000000000000000000 poliah sparks. 100000000000000000000000000 Bulgarians etcetc. Brits 1 or 2 dozen in 5 years or so

19. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Don't woory - Part P'll soon be history - along with Bliar & Fatscott.

Even RIBA think Part P's a load of **** -

Have a look at this - Point 5 in particular:

Royal Institure of British Architects proposes improvements to the Building Regulations -

http://www.riba.org/go/RIBA/News/Press5690.html

Thoughts?

TT

20. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Agreed TT Part P should be and I think will become part of history along with the money making machines that have been set up around it.

As for the demise of the ring - good.

As for complying with EU 'standards' - bad.